starting strength gym

Thread: Step-Ups and Lunges

Default Step-Ups and Lunges

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is it ever appropriate for an intermediate to program step ups and lunges in place squats and deadlifts on light day in an H/L 4-day split?

E.g.,
    M: Squat, Press
    T: DL, Chins
    Th: step ups, Bench
    F: Lunges, Pwr Clean, (Rows or Pull-ups)

Or are the too close to being accessory movements?

They are really accessory movements. I don't consider either one to be a real developer of strength. I program them into a "work capacity" context on lower body days, often in circuit fashion with some other exercises. Step Ups are mainly a concentric-only exercise that can actually help dissipate soreness when programmed a few days after heavier squats / deads. Lunges actually create a lot of new soreness so I'd only recommend them if you are in pretty good shape and they aren't going to create severe DOMS. Either way, start with a lower volume and slowly build over time. I don't program either exercise heavy, especially the lunges.

Thanks for the reply! I will start figuring out to program these into conditioning as suggested. Is it acceptable to treat Saturday as an "accessory" day if I'm doing a M/T/Th/F Split?

As long as those accessories arent causing a bunch of soreness/fatigue that bleed over into Monday.