starting strength gym

Thread: A satisfying summary of the Intermediate chapter in PPST3?

Default A satisfying summary of the Intermediate chapter in PPST3?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Andy, first time poster here in your forum. I'm here to ask if I have the basic understanding of principles in the Intermediate chapter in PPST3 as it applies to program design in a new intermediate. Can you tell me if i'm on the right track here?

The following is a novel that I wrote to a client of mine on the basics of the "Why's" behind his programming changes. Per your sticky I apologize for the length but since it's not about my particular training history and it's an attempt to summarize the ideas behind the intermediate chapter in the book I hope you'll overlook it. If not, feel free to have me killed.

So here's my take on the intermediate chapter in PPST3:
    It should be noted that the book mentions and declares that these are EXAMPLES on how to set up an intermediate's programming and not templates to hold as the "end all be all". The programs are presented as representations for illustrative purposes only. TM has been used and abused by many and I think the test of time has shown it's not beneficial for many. But as I continue to understand the Intermediate chapter, there are guiding principles throughout the chapter that range from transition from NLP to Late intermediate chronologically through the chapter and the different programs presented are ways those principles could manifest themselves. For example, the TM at a logical level sort of makes sense. A novice who can PR every workout, then twice a week, can then make the smaller jump to PR-ing once per week. This is accomplised by ADDING VOLUME AND DECREASING INTENSITY. Read that again. The same number of "slots" are held for Squatting, pulling, and pressing. The variable that is changed is VOLUME with 5x5 on the Volume day. Notice the second squat day is only 1 set at a 5RM instead of 1 heavy 5RM set and 2 heavy back offs. Where did those sets go? THE VOLUME DAY. Which by the way IS THE HEAVY DAY. The intensity day, despite being heavier in absolute terms is a Medium stressor. The TM is a flavor of a HLM program as I understand it. This is a demonstration of the concept that Intermediates need to increase their exposure to larger volume stressors in order to continue to increase progress and the 5,3x2,2x3,and 5x1RMs are a way to express the realization of that adaptation and track progress to make sure adaptation is still occuring while also being a stressor in itself to keep the process going. RMs at this scheme also allow the lifter to develop their ability to grind under load, increase their neural efficency (number of motor units they are able to recruit) and increase myofibular hypertrophy (contractile units vs sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which is muscle size).

Continue reading and you'll find that soon after "running out" the rep scheme it's often not beneficial to keep running it out. Adaptations resulting from REPEATED FREQUENT stressors of high intesity "RM" work change the tissue and bony structures in a way that's not worth the return on investment. Work in these rep ranges continue to be beneficial, but not forever and in thoughtfully programmed, controlled doses. What does this mean? Introduce the concept of Dynamic Effort (DE)work. Submaximal weights in the 65-75% range moved very quickly. At first the DE work can substitute in for the Intensity day because it is not as stressful as a 5x5 volume day. As you get more adapted/efficient at doing DE work, it's possible for you to be able to move enough weight enough times for it to serve as a stressful volume event. This is why the book shows how you can "swap" the 5x5 day for a 10x2 day and resume "running out" the 5,3x2,3x2,and 5x1 RMs again since you will have had sufficient time doing increasing volume work, have likely put on more weight, and the need for a higher intensity workout becomes acceptable. This cycle of volume, intensity, rep schemes etc are the components for "block prioritization" schemes and by the time a lifter exhausts all these options they probably cannot recover weekly (or at least not in the same way as an early intermediate). which segways nicely into the Advanced chapter which I don't pretend to fully grasp at all.

Then, after all that's established the authors go into ways one could structure their training over multiple days using the same PRINCIPLES. So that's why we're going to start organizing your training the way we are. setting up Intensity and Volume on the same day will not last forever and is probably most appropriate for coming off the Novice LP in your particular situation. Eventually we will have to build up volume over the week, instead of over a few days like represented in the layout we came up with. When this happens you may be forced to do a type of 2 volume days and 2 intensity days but only after the first type of format peters out.

No baker here

Whoops. Wrong programmer thread....

*programming