starting strength gym

Thread: KSC Strengthlifting - Rack Pulls & SLDLs

Default KSC Strengthlifting - Rack Pulls & SLDLs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just started your KSC Strengthlifting program this week, and I'll be competing in the Fall Classic at the end of October. I have a couple of questions about the deadlift variations.

I am a fairly round-back deadlifter (rounded thoracic spine). I've never been able to get my t-spine nice and straight in the starting position of the deadlift, but it's my strongest lift and I haven't suffered any ill effects from my form so I've just continued to pull that way. I've pulled 645 with straps, only 605 without so I've been working on my grip strength.

Anyway, today was the first time I've done rack pulls, and I set the bar a few inches below my knees as you recommend. In this position I can lift with a nice flat back, but I wasn't able to lift any more than I can deadlifting from the floor. Getting the bar to leave the pins was the most difficult part, but it went up fast once that happened. In contrast, in deadlifts if I fail it's usually at the lockout since I still need to straighten out my upper back at the end of the movement. Here's a video from last week of me failing to lock out 635 that shows what I'm talking about:

So I'm wondering if doing rack pulls is going to carry over to my deadlift since I'm not actually overloading the movement and the movement is different since it's done with a flat back rather than the top half of my regular deadlift where my back is rounded and then I have to straighten it out at the end. Would I be better off just doing regular deadlifts all the time rather than rotating in the rack pulls? Or will the rack pulls help strengthen my back so I can lock out the weight better on my regular deads? I did seem to feel them in my traps and upper back more than regular deadlifts.

Also wondering about the SLDL's, since I can't even get my back perfectly straight on a normal deadlift my back is even more rounded on an SLDL. Should I just do medium-weight deadlifts instead?

Thanks for the help!

Hard to say with 100% certainty which lifts will carry over the most, but Stiff Legs are almost universally consistent in carrying over to regular deads. Especially if you do them from a 2-4 inch deficit to increase ROM on the hamstrings. I think if you can set some big PRs on the SLDLs your DL will move.

That fact that you Rack Pull about what you Deadlift is a pretty decent indicator you should probably strengthen your back with more rack pulls. Your experience with the ROM (hard as fuck to break the bar off the pins and then fast to lockout) is basically how it should feel.

That is the HARDEST part about getting a guy good at Rack Pulls. I always have to tell my lifters "the bar is going to seem stuck for a few seconds....just keep pulling and it will move."

Thanks Andy, that make sense and my back is wrecked (in a good way) today after doing the rack pulls. I'll keep them in there.

In your RDL/SLDL video (thanks for all the great content you've been putting out recently btw) you say that keeping the back locked in extension is the top priority even if it means more knee flexion. For the stiff legs, my problem is that I can't set up with legs any straighter than my normal deadlift without just rounding my whole back over. I don't know if it's a hamstring flexibility issue or what. Should I just start out with medium deadlifts and try to work on my flexibility to get a straighter knee angle over time?

Curious. How do you feel about reverse bands or chains for working on lock out?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Thanks Andy, that make sense and my back is wrecked (in a good way) today after doing the rack pulls. I'll keep them in there.

In your RDL/SLDL video (thanks for all the great content you've been putting out recently btw) you say that keeping the back locked in extension is the top priority even if it means more knee flexion. For the stiff legs, my problem is that I can't set up with legs any straighter than my normal deadlift without just rounding my whole back over. I don't know if it's a hamstring flexibility issue or what. Should I just start out with medium deadlifts and try to work on my flexibility to get a straighter knee angle over time?
    Try Romanian Deadlifts, starting from the hang. You might find it easier to let the weight pull you down into a deeper stretch with a little less knee bend than trying to start from the proper position from the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Curious. How do you feel about reverse bands or chains for working on lock out?
    Like Bands a lot. No experience with Chains. I don't often write them in my general programs because people don't have the right set up or don't know how to set them up properly. Perhaps I should do a video on this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Like Bands a lot. No experience with Chains. I don't often write them in my general programs because people don't have the right set up or don't know how to set them up properly. Perhaps I should do a video on this.
    Yes, I think it would be a good view and would love to read/hear/watch your thoughts on them. I've had good results with lifters using reverse bands. Chains, not so much.

They're a specific tool for a specific case (I've never trained with them personally), but thought they may benefit the OP.