starting strength gym

Thread: A Quick Clarification Regarding S.S. vs the S.S. Web Summary

Default A Quick Clarification Regarding S.S. vs the S.S. Web Summary

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Disclaimer: I have just started the program, have read both books (S.S. 3 times & P.P.), I have read all the forum rules; READ BEFORE POSTING. Period. – Yes, This Means You, Rip Inaugurates this Subforum & Wolf’s Original Introduction & yes I know how to use the search function.

Question:

1) -“Most healthy men between the ages of 18 and 35 or 40 can add 10 lbs to the squat the first 2-3 times it’s performed”. - S.S. Web Summary
    -“Most male trainees the squat can be increased 10 pounds per workout, assuming three workouts per week for two to three weeks. When you miss the last rep or two of your last work set, the east gains are beginning to wane and you can take 5-pound jumps for several months; back up 5 pounds and start with 5 pound jumps.” - S.S. 304

Which would you recommend I use as a guideline? (One is 20-30lbs while the second is 60-90lbs)

2) Phase 3:
    -S.S. & P.P. = GHR’s or Back Extensions followed by Chin-ups
    -S.S. Web Summary = only chins

I am not at phase 3 yet but am preparing ahead of time. Which is preferable?

Starting Strength Training Programs

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I may be misunderstanding something and just need clarification.

The length of time you can get 10 lb jumps out of the squat varies from one person to the next. How heavy you started your first workout, you age, your gender, your bodyweight, your previous training history, etc all have an impact. This all exists on an individual timeline. When in doubt, go conservative.

Use localized muscular fatigue of the low back as a guideline. Most find that if they are deadlifting on a fairly regular basis (every other workout) then they don't need the back extensions and their low-back enjoys a break from any direct work. When the volume is kept relatively low on the back extensions I'm not sure it makes a helluva lot of difference whether you do them or not.