starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failing on squats. Should I deload or continue pushing?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Oh geez, dunce hat goes to me.

/only reads dates like an American.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Are you doing deadifts 3x5 or 1x5?
    1x5

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    maybe . . . . do the advanced novice thing.

middle day of the week do some lighter sets/weight to let fatigue dissipate.

or switch to one heavy set of 5; and then 2x5 with 5-10% back off. Then keep adding weight to the hvy 1x5 set everyother work out.
    where can I find out about advance novice part? ( I believe this is phase 3 of SS; correct me if I'm wrong )

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Sounds like you could benefit from a reset. Can we get some more info? Height? bodyweight when you started and current? Starting weights and current lifts? Rest periods between sets? Probs would be helpful to send a form check to the technique forum!
    CURRENT BODYWEIGHT: 85kg
    HEIGHT: 5" 9""
    BODYWEIGHT LAST YEAR: 72-75kg (was always in this range)
    Started training in 2016 in May-June properly.

LAST YEAR STATS (when I first started out, I was able to reach these weights pretty fast; I would say that my technique started to fall apart after these weights):
    SQ: 70kg
    BP: 60kg
    DL: 70kg
    PRESS: 50kg

CURRENT STATS (last lifted, 4 days ago):
    SQ: 125kg (took a deload as was mentioned by a few people in this thread)
    BP: 95kg
    DL: 175kg
    PRESS: 65kg

I, now, rest 4-5 min in between sets; sometimes more than that if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    ^This. Did you fail reps? Which reps?
    Did you fail to hit depth? Post the video.
    Did you just not believe that you could go up the next workout?
    I did not fail reps. On the days that I mentioned in the initial post/thread, I achieved depth on every rep that I completed. However, I did feel as though I may not be able to do the next rep since fatigue was kicking in. I try not to fail reps mainly because I want to avoid getting my lower back sore.
    I have noticed that if I try to grind through reps at the end of my squats, sometimes my lower back tends to round a few inches after I bounce out of the hole. This has caused my lower back to feel a bit sore only a few times (maybe 2-3 times in the past year). So I try to avoid grinding through reps ONLY if I know that I won't be able to get the reps. If I believe I can, then I go for them.

Keep working. The novice LP is tough. Get starting strength 3rd edition and practical programming for technique and programming help. In the meantime, as others have said:
    1) post video in technique forum
    2) gain weight
    3)put light day in middle of week
    4) make sure you rest long enough to get your reps done
    Good luck!

Frame of reference: I am only one inch taller than you. I weigh 20kg more. Just think about that with regards to why you might be stuck.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Wasif Shah View Post
    I did not fail reps. On the days that I mentioned in the initial post/thread, I achieved depth on every rep that I completed. However, I did feel as though I may not be able to do the next rep since fatigue was kicking in. I try not to fail reps mainly because I want to avoid getting my lower back sore.
    I have noticed that if I try to grind through reps at the end of my squats, sometimes my lower back tends to round a few inches after I bounce out of the hole. This has caused my lower back to feel a bit sore only a few times (maybe 2-3 times in the past year). So I try to avoid grinding through reps ONLY if I know that I won't be able to get the reps. If I believe I can, then I go for them.

A word of advice from someone who's been in the trenches...sometimes you can get a rep even if you don't feel like you can. The only way you truly know your limit is to test it. The only reason I have a pretty good idea now of whether I can make another rep is because I've failed enough reps to know when I'm spent.

The first time I squatted 405, I kept stopping after 2 reps because I didn't think I had it in me for another. One day, I decided that I wasn't going to repeat 405 again. The first two reps again felt awful, but I went for a third...and it went up. Then I went for a fourth...and it also went up. (I was going for four reps, so I stopped there.) Then I watched the video I took...the bar speed was much faster than I thought for the first three reps, and a little slower for the fourth...the inability to make another rep wasn't physical, it was mental.

In short, learning to grind is a hard lesson, and I strongly believe that you can't learn how to grind until you are willing to fail. It's why many of us who have done this for a while talk about the mental toughness that comes with lifting...it's very difficult to think you're spent, but to force out another rep out of obstinacy.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    maybe . . . . do the advanced novice thing.

middle day of the week do some lighter sets/weight to let fatigue dissipate.

or switch to one heavy set of 5; and then 2x5 with 5-10% back off. Then keep adding weight to the hvy 1x5 set everyother work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    Please see the Technique thread stickies for the forum for everybody to critique you (faster option) or the Starting Strength Coaches Q and A thread if you want a coach to look (when they have time).
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Keep working. The novice LP is tough. Get starting strength 3rd edition and practical programming for technique and programming help. In the meantime, as others have said:
    1) post video in technique forum
    2) gain weight
    3)put light day in middle of week
    4) make sure you rest long enough to get your reps done
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    Frame of reference: I am only one inch taller than you. I weigh 20kg more. Just think about that with regards to why you might be stuck.
    Also, seriously consider all of this advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasif Shah View Post
    CURRENT BODYWEIGHT: 85kg
    HEIGHT: 5" 9""
    BODYWEIGHT LAST YEAR: 72-75kg (was always in this range)
    Started training in 2016 in May-June properly.

LAST YEAR STATS (when I first started out, I was able to reach these weights pretty fast; I would say that my technique started to fall apart after these weights):
    SQ: 70kg
    BP: 60kg
    DL: 70kg
    PRESS: 50kg

CURRENT STATS (last lifted, 4 days ago):
    SQ: 125kg (took a deload as was mentioned by a few people in this thread)
    BP: 95kg
    DL: 175kg
    PRESS: 65kg

I, now, rest 4-5 min in between sets; sometimes more than that if I need to.
    When did you start this round of LP? Especially if you've done one before, an LP should take very long before transitioning to a light-day-wednesday to an HLM or some other weekly intermediate kind of program. Also, you haven't actually said how many sets/reps you got when you "failed," so we're still just guessing if you did 3x5 but didn't think you'd be able to go up or what. Also what Brodie said.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast