starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Failing on squats. Should I deload or continue pushing?

Default Failing on squats. Should I deload or continue pushing?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been using stronglifts 5x5 for about a year now.
    In the beginning I followed the 5x5 strictly, but then when I stopped making progress on 5x5, I switched to 3x5 for all the basic barbell lifts, excluding the power clean (since it's not included in the stronglifts program).
    Basically I'm using the stronglifts app just to record my lifts, but in essence following the SS method of using a 3x5 for all the barbell lifts. Shortly after starting Stronglifts 5x5, I found out about SS and completely agree with their method and basically have applied it for quite a while and I plan on using it for myself.

My question is:
    For the past 3 training sessions I have been struggling with squats.
    on 07/09 I squatted 137.5kg
    on 10/09 I squatted 137.5kg
    on 12/09 I squatted 137.5kg
    Should I deload and work my way up, or should I continue to try to increase the squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasif Shah View Post
    I have been using stronglifts 5x5 for about a year now.
    In the beginning I followed the 5x5 strictly, but then when I stopped making progress on 5x5, I switched to 3x5 for all the basic barbell lifts, excluding the power clean (since it's not included in the stronglifts program).
    Basically I'm using the stronglifts app just to record my lifts, but in essence following the SS method of using a 3x5 for all the barbell lifts. Shortly after starting Stronglifts 5x5, I found out about SS and completely agree with their method and basically have applied it for quite a while and I plan on using it for myself.

My question is:
    For the past 3 training sessions I have been struggling with squats.
    on 07/09 I squatted 137.5kg
    on 10/09 I squatted 137.5kg
    on 12/09 I squatted 137.5kg
    Should I deload and work my way up, or should I continue to try to increase the squat?
    Sounds like you could benefit from a reset. Can we get some more info? Height? bodyweight when you started and current? Starting weights and current lifts? Rest periods between sets? Probs would be helpful to send a form check to the technique forum!

maybe . . . . do the advanced novice thing.

middle day of the week do some lighter sets/weight to let fatigue dissipate.

or switch to one heavy set of 5; and then 2x5 with 5-10% back off. Then keep adding weight to the hvy 1x5 set everyother work out.

Why did you squat the same weight on 3 consecutive sessions? You haven't actually given us any information about your situation except that you're "struggling" with no indication of what the struggle might be.

I would reset by 10%, incorporate a light middle day at 80% of your first normal day's weights and hop back on that progress gravy train. Around 300 is where most individuals really start feeling the fatigue from their squats and your experience is the most normal thing I've seen on here. So yes, do what MBasic recommended. Also do a quick check on all that Royce mentioned since being pedantic never hurt anybody. Although typically "YNDTP" issues come out in the wash well before 140kg. Personally, I wouldn't do the 1 heavy set quite yet (I'm a few kg below your squats after the recommended reset and light day), from personal experience. I am still chugging along with just the light day. But MBasic has provided what to do once you stall after the incorporation of a light day. Such a helpful guy.

CURRENT BODYWEIGHT: 85kg
    HEIGHT: 5" 9""
    BODYWEIGHT LAST YEAR: 72-75kg (was always in this range)
    when i started doing stronglifts (1year ago), i could probably squat 70kg with good form, press 50kg, bench press 70kg.
    Deadlifts were never a problem because i'm still progressing.
    I take aabout 5 min in between sets for rest, sometimes a lot more when squats feel heavy.
    How can I post my lifting video on the forum for analysis?

Please see the Technique thread stickies for the forum for everybody to critique you (faster option) or the Starting Strength Coaches Q and A thread if you want a coach to look (when they have time).

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Why did you squat the same weight on 3 consecutive sessions? You haven't actually given us any information about your situation except that you're "struggling" with no indication of what the struggle might be.
    ^This. Did you fail reps? Which reps?
    Did you fail to hit depth? Post the video.
    Did you just not believe that you could go up the next workout?

Are you doing deadifts 3x5 or 1x5?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    I hope those aren't consecutive sessions, as they all occurred in different months! 5 months, not a kilo increase??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast