• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5'11
    220 lbs.

Squat 335 lbs. (3 sets x5 reps)
    Bench 278 lbs. (2 sets x 5 reps)
    Press 145 lbs. (3 sets x 5 reps)
    Deadlift 275 lbs. (1 set x 5 reps) - I was delinquent in doing these, just added them back into the program and LP will probably take me close to 400 lbs. for 5

2600 kcals/day, reverse dieting so I will be adding around 200 kcals/day every week until I start to gain weight.

I'm currently using HLM style programming for everything but deadlifts, my lifts are all close to stalling. My last heavy squat workout was as tough as I've ever had.

My current squat program is
    Monday (Heavy) - 3x5 RM
    Wednesday (Light) - 3x5 @ 88% of Monday
    Friday (Medium) - 3x5 @ 95% of Monday

I think that adding more volume can help me avoid stalling, so my idea is to add a "hypertrophy" workout on Saturday. If it worked out, I'd do the same for bench and press.
    Saturday (Hypertrophy) - 3x10 @ 80% of Monday

My reasoning
    - I'd like to gain a little more size in my legs and glutes
    - It would add a good chunk of volume at moderate intensity
    - It would shorten the amount of time between squat workouts from 72 to 48 hours.

The only other way I can see adding volume to this program is by using back-off sets. I can certainly do that, but I'd prefer to try this first because I'd like to keep intensity high on Mon/Wed/Fri, and I'm pretty gassed after those workouts.

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

I would suggest back off sets. I would not be a fan of adding 3 x 10 Squats 48 hours before your Heavy Squat Day. Any load you select that would not bleed over into Monday is not heavy enough to have an adaptive effect on either strength or hypertrophy and you're just wasting time fucking around with bullshit weight.

I'm not opposed to higher rep squatting for mass, but I'd reduce squats to twice per week, with one session dedicated to more moderate loads/volume in the 5ish rep range and one session dedicated to hard and heavy sets of 10+.

Thanks. So add back off sets to each workout in the 5 rep range, and stay away from higher rep ranges unless I want to change the focus of my training to mass.

I'd like to get some more mass, but if that can keep my strength gains on track I can put that goal on the shelf for now.