starting strength gym

Thread: S&M Over 40 on 3 day

Default S&M Over 40 on 3 day

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, Andy, I have your S&M over 40 program, I know it is a 4 Day Split, if I were to do 3 Day a week such as
    Mon heavy Press
    Light Bench
    Accessory

Wed heavy Squat
    SLDL
    Accessory

Friday heavy Bench
    Light Press
    Accessory

Following Monday Light Squat
    Deadlift and continue Alternating would it affect the program negatively?

I have lots of 4-day programs that I have clients run over a 3-day training week. I actually run a 5-workout program across a 3-day week which makes my "week" closer to 9-10 days. I love it. At 35 and drug free I'm able to train hard with good volume at every session, I never feel beat up and I really don't have to worry about scheduled deloading. Of course I know myself and I don't really require a ton of frequency to stay strong.

I'm doing something that looks like this:

Mon - Bench + Bench Assistance
    Weds - Deadlifts + Squat Variation, or Squat + DL Variation
    Fri - Press + Bench Variation + Press Assistance
    Mon - Back + Rack Pull (every other time)
    Weds - Squat + Lower Assistance
    Fri - Repeat

I've been doing the strength and mass >40 on a Mon/Wed/Fri split since February and it's working well. I keep a log here if you want to see how I've approached it. Just one example but thought it might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I have lots of 4-day programs that I have clients run over a 3-day training week. I actually run a 5-workout program across a 3-day week which makes my "week" closer to 9-10 days. I love it. At 35 and drug free I'm able to train hard with good volume at every session, I never feel beat up and I really don't have to worry about scheduled deloading. Of course I know myself and I don't really require a ton of frequency to stay strong.

I'm doing something that looks like this:

Mon - Bench + Bench Assistance
    Weds - Deadlifts + Squat Variation, or Squat + DL Variation
    Fri - Press + Bench Variation + Press Assistance
    Mon - Back + Rack Pull (every other time)
    Weds - Squat + Lower Assistance
    Fri - Repeat
    You squat once a week only because you are advanced enough to do that?

I don't know that I'm all that "advanced." I just know that I'm able to basically able to maintain strength on lower frequency. I'm not necessarily recommending my approach to anyone, just throwing it out there as an example of how you can extend your "week." If I was aggressively training for a meet or to try and hit certain numbers, I'd probably be training the big lifts a little more frequently. But the reality is at this point in my life, my own training is not the priority that it used to be. With this schedule I can still squat 500+, DL 550+, Bench 365+, and Press 250+, and keep my body weight down around 195-205. To budge those numbers up, I'd have to train on a more demanding and time consuming schedule and I just don't want to is the bottom line. 2 businesses, 3 kids, Game of Thrones, Narcos, etc. Gotta have priorities.

Hi Andy,

So when running the S&M squat rep rotation over 3-days you eventually get a week with heavy singles on Fri followed by a week with Wed light squats only, then heavy 5s across on the following Monday. After two weeks with heavy singles only I inevitably have bad DOMS after the 5s. Should I up the volume/intensity of the light day if only doing light squats for the week. What do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    2 businesses, 3 kids, Game of Thrones, Narcos, etc. Gotta have priorities.
    Can't argue with those priorities

Quote Originally Posted by jippy View Post
    Hi Andy,

So when running the S&M squat rep rotation over 3-days you eventually get a week with heavy singles on Fri followed by a week with Wed light squats only, then heavy 5s across on the following Monday. After two weeks with heavy singles only I inevitably have bad DOMS after the 5s. Should I up the volume/intensity of the light day if only doing light squats for the week. What do you suggest?
    Yeah, if it turns out that way, then probably not a bad idea to increase volume and maybe intensity slightly on that light day so that you still deload your CNS a bit after the heavy singles week, but you don't decondition yourself too much prior to heavy 5s the following week

I've been thinking of going to a heavy/light king of programming after running H/L/M for a while. I'd be interested to hear what accessory lifts you guys use for each day.

starting strength coach development program
    I really like the upper lower split over M-W-F a lot. It allows me to get the satisfaction of going hard every session, but not having the recovery demand of either a 4 day split or a 3 day full body.

I did your press emphasis version of 'The KSC Method for RAW Power Lifting' which turned the 6 week program into an 8 week program, but I added about 10 lbs to my press and bench (I also could bench at this frequency without issues) and 20 lbs to my squat and deadlift. Like a fool I tried a 3 day full body for a couple of weeks after that and decided that it wasn't worth the energy drain for the possible extra gains.

Now I am back to basically runny a Heavy/Light 4 day split over M-W-F withe rotating intensity and volume each session and already feel much more energetic than the last few weeks.