starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas Method and losing body fat, critique of programming, diet, etc. Details Below

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yeah, I just don't really think TM is appropriate for most whilst attempting to cut. I have had 18-19 year old, strong guys that couldn't run TM successfully because they couldn't prioritize eating and sleeping. You should probably run a 3 or 4 day HLM Template while undulating rep ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    The RP diet book is a damn fine text.
    This! I've been following the RP diet protocol for 5 months now. Into week3 of my 2nd cut. 5'6" was 216lb and 26% BF navy method. I am not 192lb and 19% BF. Between cuts 1 and 2, I did a 4 week mini-maintenance phase. My lifts (which aren't great...check my log), are holding up pretty well. Excepting Squat which I am rebuilding for form reasons...everything else is at 5RM weight or within 10lb of it. I am doing HLM.

Note: I'm getting nutritional guidance from SSC Robert Santana. He is a great resource and the bi-weekly check ins help with compliance (my biggest issue). But if you are on a budget, get the RP diet book and follow it. if you don't have compliance issues and don't mind some troubleshooting to get macros right...you can do it on your own.

Note: There are things I am learning that will carry me way past my cuts.

Damn typos....I am now 192lb. and I check in with Robert twice a week...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt87 View Post
    I’ll start this by giving you my stats:
    Age 30
    Height 6’1”
    Weight 265
    I would estimate bodyfat around 25%

Lifts:
    Squat: 400LBS X 5
    Bench: 270LBS X 5
    Deadlift 450LBS X 5
    PRESS: 170LBS X 5

Been running the Texas Method for 14 weeks now, before I did 5-3-1 and bodybuilding type workouts in between. Trying to get bodyweight down to 245 with strict dieting. Currently eating 2500 calories a day, no cardio. Started this diet 3 weeks ago.

I’ve been stuck at the following lifts for 2-3 weeks on Intensity Day:
    Squat 405 for 4 reps (stuck 2 weeks)
    Bench 275 for 3 reps (stuck 3 weeks)
    Deadlift 455 for 3 reps (stuck 2 weeks )
    Press 175 for 3 reps

My volume day looks like this:
    Squat 350 5x5
    Bench 245 5x5
    Press 145 5x5

It feels like I just hit a wall. I throw in accessory work like pull ups (usually 5 sets of 10), rows (5 sets of 8), bi’s and tri’s. Pull ups and rows earlier in week to recover for deadlift on ID Friday.

Should I reset? What should ID and VD look like? Diet is necessary, got way to fat running these numbers up. How should I proceed with a focus on gaining strength and slowly dropping fat?

Diet is below in case you’re interested: I’ll eat this 5 days out of the week and I’ll throw in some cheat meals on the weekend.
    Chicken Breast (200 g)
    Black Beans (.5 cup)
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil (2 TBS)
    wrap 1

Chicken Breast (200 g)
    Black Beans (.5 cup)

Chicken Breast (100 g)
    Black Beans (.5 cup)
    wrap 1

Eggs- 3
    Egg White - 8
    Don't stop yet. Go back to your original diet but just cut out some of the fringe/cheating stuff(ice cream, desserts, alcohol, milk, whatever) I've been where you are and was even fatter(31%bf). If you are still progressing on 5's now you need to "run it out" before switching programs. This is explained in Practical Programming but basically once you get to a really grindy set of 5 in a lift on Friday switch to two triples. Maybe this lasts for 1-3 weeks and then switch to three doubles(do this before you fail any reps). Just keep adding weight to the bar. Then 5 singles across, then maybe an all out PR single. Then you will have done your due diligence with the Texas Method and received all the Gainz. Then you clean up the diet, switch up programming and move on

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123