starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method and losing body fat, critique of programming, diet, etc. Details Below

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    You also probably stalled because you're still doing 5rms or trying to do 5rms instead of tapering down the reps while maintaining volume (e.g. 2x3, 3x2, 5x1) and now that you're stuck switcing rep ranges won't be as effective, especially while dieting.

If you're already big and the program doesn't work on a diet, sometimes the diet can use adjustment while still being in a deficit, but usually it means the programming is inappropriate.
    What do you recommend? Dieting for maybe 2 months just to bring down the body fat so I'm at a more reasonable weight. You think I should just power through for the two months? Not really tired/fatigued after any workout...

Try cycling the rep ranges on intensity day to see if that gets them moving again or to at least keep adding weight to the bar weekly. So 2x3 on squats, 3-4x2 on bench/press, and 1x3 with 2x3@90% back off sets on deadlift.

I like Mike Israetel's recommendation of cutting for 8-12 weeks, then going through a period of maintenance for 4-6, then cutting again. But I would look into different programming options while running out TM.

I like Mike Israetel's recommendation of cutting for 8-12 weeks, then going through a period of maintenance for 4-6, then cutting again. But I would look into different programming options while running out TM.
    The RP diet book is a damn fine text.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt87 View Post
    What do you recommend? Dieting for maybe 2 months just to bring down the body fat so I'm at a more reasonable weight. You think I should just power through for the two months? Not really tired/fatigued after any workout...
    Let's say you diet down for two months until you're happy with your body composition. Great. What then? Start eating whatever you want again? Guess what will happen.

My suggestion (and what I'm doing now myself) is to consider reverse dieting. Look up Layne Norton's videos on the subject, but the TL;DR version is that you gradually increase your caloric intake over the course of a few months. Your metabolism will adjust, and eventually you will be maintaining weight with much higher macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Let's say you diet down for two months until you're happy with your body composition. Great. What then? Start eating whatever you want again? Guess what will happen.

My suggestion (and what I'm doing now myself) is to consider reverse dieting. Look up Layne Norton's videos on the subject, but the TL;DR version is that you gradually increase your caloric intake over the course of a few months. Your metabolism will adjust, and eventually you will be maintaining weight with much higher macros.
    So, what's the diet strategy for those of us who want to lower the calories we need to maintain our body weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

I would diet down to around 245-250, then add around 400-500 calories to be in slight surplus, run TM for another 3 months, and see where I'm at. I don't really plan on having to cut again. The reason I'm cutting is because I gained 45 LBS in a year powerlifting. I use to box, I was lean, now I'm fat. Learned a lesson bulking up so quickly. Added a ton of weight to my lifts but not so sure it was worth the extra weight gain. Shoulda just been in a slight surplus and took a little longer...

Try cycling the rep ranges on intensity day to see if that gets them moving again or to at least keep adding weight to the bar weekly. So 2x3 on squats, 3-4x2 on bench/press, and 1x3 with 2x3@90% back off sets on deadlift.

I'll try this for a few weeks. I'm determined to make strength gains will losing body fat. I'm motivated, I never miss a day lifting, I have the will to keep to the diet, and I have a huge cock...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    So, what's the diet strategy for those of us who want to lower the calories we need to maintain our body weight?
    Stop lifting, watch more TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt87 View Post
    I'll try this for a few weeks. I'm determined to make strength gains will losing body fat. I'm motivated, I never miss a day lifting, I have the will to keep to the diet, and I have a huge cock...
    While I - as a fluffy individual with a long history of weight issues - can appreciate this, almost every Starting Strength Coach will say that an intermediate lifter cannot expect to get substantially (or maybe even notable) stronger while in a caloric deficit. not to crush your hopes and dreams, but it is just not realistic. Think about what you are asking your body to do. "Hey, body. I want to provide you with insufficient nutrition to grow additional muscle tissue and also provide you with less fuel for your workouts. but, get this. I want you to grow additional muscle tissue and do a progressively more intense workout. Sound good?" This is equivalent to your boss expecting you to work 10 hours more a week with less compensation. If you are in a caloric deficit - which you should be at some point to lose added body fat as a result of being in a surplus - you must change your programming. Your programming is dictated by your recovery resources. You can't shoe-horn a program to fit your recovery without sub par progress if any.

starting strength coach development program
    i would actually do a volume cycling version of the Texas Method if trying to cut bodyfat.

volume days 75 80 85 % x5,4 or 3 each week rotated
    intensity days 80 85 90% rotated each week for an amrap followed by a drop set amrap at -10% maybe even two drop sets at that weight for the pressing

deadlift i would just do the top set for intensity day then maybe a few back offs of 3-5 reps but not amraps

I was actually making great progress on a HLM version of this before the flood...while cutting i doubt you will add much strength but the amraps give you leeway when the weight start falling plus the volume day isnt just an all out grinder every set but still a good dose

If I were to do the Texas method ever again(which I wont)I would do this on a 4 day split

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast