starting strength gym

Thread: Squat depth

Default Squat depth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hello. My name is Konstantinos and i am from Greece, 43 years old, 175cm, 85kg. I begun the linear progression aproach from the fantastic book The Barbell Prescription, 5 weeks ago. Recently i took a video of my squats and i realised that i squat above parallel. I dont know if is a matter of strength or flexibility. In these 5 weeks i did a lot of progressing (i "gain" 45 kg on my squats) but i think that i must take some weight off and go deeper. In the book it is right that for the olders trainers, a decrease in intensity could lead to detraining. What do you suggest me to do for reaching the right depth in the squat? Take off some weight and if yes how much?
    Thank you very much

The most important thing is to do the form right on the lifts. Not necessarily PERFECT, but 90% of your reps should basically be by the book unless there is some compelling reason to modify them, which is sometimes the case.

My guess is that your depth issues are NOT flexibility related. That is rarely the case. It's either that your mechanics are off or you have too much weight on the bar or both.