starting strength gym

Thread: Struggling with Linear Progression - am I no longer a Novice?

Default Struggling with Linear Progression - am I no longer a Novice?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sex Male
    Age 48.5
    Weight 200 lbs
    SS Start Date Feb 18th 2017
    Squat PR 335x3x5
    Deadlift PR . 335x1x5

I have been making incremental progress since I started back in February, with a month stall due to a thoracic muscle injury back in May.

2 weeks ago i squatted and deadlifted 335. However, the next day my quads were sore, and unfortunately, my next training session I could barely squat 300 and my form was terrible. I've since taken a week off and started back up again, but today I struggled squatting 315 (wobbly legs).

My quads have been sore since my PR - I can feel them burn and i feel weak getting of the pot and walking down stairs. This is new - never felt my quads sore for more than half a day in the past.

I wanted to ask the forum if you think I am approaching the end of my Novice program, or if this sounds like muscle strain or some other temporary condition.

I am considering buying the next book, "The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40" or signing up for a coaching session to get my form evaluated, but as a frugal guy I want to get as far as i can on my own with the SS program first.

So just purely going off of the info above, you are most likely approaching the end of your progression. For someone your age, these numbers are great in my opinion. Do you have a light day in the middle of your week?

Maybe leaning towards adv novice that needs slightly different structure to the week than just increasing every workout. You could try and take a light day on Wednesday or if that isn't working start to do HLM where you only progress once a week on squats. Or you could implement the light day on Wednesday with heavy days looking like a heavy set of 5 with two backoff sets (340x5, 90-95% of heavy weight).

Looks like you're finally reaching the point where your body needs a little more recovery aka now beyond novice assuming you are getting enough rest/food. If you aren't and aren't going to change them you're a situational intermediate because of life.

For me adding volume deadlifts helped my DL go up and back strength but it took a few weeks of titrating up the volume because my body wasn't used to it and I've been using the heavy set with backoff for squats. I am 31 so there is a sizable age gap which might change recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgarstka View Post
    I've since taken a week off
    probably not the best decision for your recovery

Quote Originally Posted by jimgarstka View Post
    Age 48.5 I am considering buying the next book, "The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40"
    Yes, do that.

Also, curious about your height.

May be time to move to a 3 day HLM. Again, buy that book and read a bunch on Andy's site. Also, you may want to check out his Baker Barbell Club

Thanks for the replies.

I am 5'10" tall.

I have not modified the program yet from the SS Linear progression (no light days ).

I will buy the book and check out Andy's site.

Start a little lighter so that you can finish 3x5 without grinding any reps, and put a light day in the middle at 80% of your last heavt day weight. That should get you back to 335 and get some progress afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    probably not the best decision for your recovery
    Not necessarily. I’m been following the suggestion to take a deload week every 6-8 weeks, during which I either drop the weights down low, or if I need it take the week off. SS coach Thrall recommends deloads as does Wendler as a preventative measure...as a guy in my forties sometimes my body needs a fuller, longer recovery once in a while.

If this guy is 48 and rocketed from squatting the bar to 335 this year, a deload may be in order.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
    Not necessarily. I’m been following the suggestion to take a deload week every 6-8 weeks, during which I either drop the weights down low, or if I need it take the week off. SS coach Thrall recommends deloads as does Wendler as a preventative measure...as a guy in my forties sometimes my body needs a fuller, longer recovery once in a while.

If this guy is 48 and rocketed from squatting the bar to 335 this year, a deload may be in order.
    "De-load" =/= "week off" though. You can get the benefits of a deload through a week off but with the side effect of slightly detraining.