starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single set, same progress

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerDog View Post
    Well technically, if you were "DTFP" you would start with 3x5 with the same weight for across sets
    The A stands for almost.

My previous gym was so restrictive that I was doing SS in spirit only.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    There's also a carryover from having previously run a novice LP - subsequent LPs support much faster progress.
    I've regained my strength much faster this time around, making 10 lb increases from 225 to 335 on the squat along with 5 lb increases on the OHP up to 160 lb.

It's the first time that I can bench press and deadlift on a regular basis, so there is no basis for comparison.

That being said, my progress during my first run was similar to the example found in Practical Programming.

Here are my previous numbers:

Squat: 390 x 5 (wide stance, below parallel)
    Dumbbell bench press: 120's x 5 (full ROM, late addition)
    OHP 175 x 5
    Deadlifts: 365 x 10 (mid-run, paused)
    Pendlay rows: 225 x 8 (mid-run, late addition)
    Snatch-grip back extensions: 185 x 10 (mid-run, 45°, easy 225 with standard grip)
    Weighted chinups: 90 x 5 (230 lb bodyweight)

I know these aren't great numbers, but it was still more than I expected from 1x5.

Those are pretty solid numbers, you may be gifted in that you don't need a lot of volume to progress. Given that, rather than TM I'd say to go for HLM, and since you don't seem to need as much heavy volume right now to make gains, do something like Les described.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    While it is not the same thing, I've had a lot of success with a heavy top set and drop sets (sometimes 20% lighter or even lighter than that as a variant). This could be a short workout because you go all out on one set and then take 3-4 mins between sets for the drop sets since they are much lighter. Push the pace to make them harder basically, and you will have a short workout.

To clarify (wish we could edit here), once 1x5 LP is unsustainable, I'd switch to 1x5 + 2x5@80-90% with a light day Weds. Once twice weekly progression burns out, switch to full HLM programming - something like 1x5 + 2x5@90% Monday, light squat or variant Weds, 3x5@90% Friday. Or have some fun with it and start getting into some different rep ranges.

I tried doing drop-sets, one for the squat and two for the OHP, both at 80% of my heavy work set, and I can see their worth.

With 1x5, I never experience soreness during my workouts or DOMS afterwards, only how strenuous the movement is and myself gradually becoming weaker.

During my drop-sets, I still couldn't feel it in my prime movers, but I felt my synergists and stabilizers activate like never before, especially my adductors in the squat and my abs and triceps in the OHP.

There was some DOMS the next morning, but only in these particular muscles, instead of muscle dullness and a general sense of fatigue.

I was hungry for once, so I increased my protein and total caloric intake, which is still far from sufficient.

During the next workout, my squat increased by an easy 7.5 lb, although I don't know if it's due to the drop-set or the introduction of the deadlift.

I am still waiting to see the results for the OHP. Hopefully, I'll be back to 5 lb increments for a few more sessions.

If it is working for you now, then by all means continue. The volume just boosts the amount of the impact. If you are able to keep going up then fine. Just because it is working now doesn't mean it will be for long. What is your (barbell) bench progress like? I'd suspect this will be the first to fall off.

starting strength coach development program
    It will stop working once I reach intermediate level, that much is certain.

It will be harder to tell when this actually happens, since lowering volume usually allows one to milk his linear gains for a few more weeks, but I'm already at the lowest possible set scheme.

As for my bench press, I haven't done it on a consistent basis until now, since asking for a spotter at my previous gym was akin to gambling. I'm talking about throwing the bar in your hands before walking away type of deal.

Floor presses weren't allowed, and pin presses were too taxing, so I replaced them with weighted dips until I reached 90 lb (at a bodyweight of 225), then switched to the dumbbell bench press (240 lb combined weight).

The highest I've tried with a barbell was 265, and I'm already back to 240 x 5 (in a cage, without a spotter).

Also, it seems that the ankle weights that I use to microload are 1.5 lb instead of 1.25 lb, so my squat increased by 8 lb rather than 7.5 lb during my last workout.

I'll try doing two drop-sets and using a belt for the bench next time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12