starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single set, same progress

Default Single set, same progress

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there,

This is my second time following the Starting Strength program, although this is the first time that I am following the program to the letter, with one exception: the set scheme.

During my first run, I managed to make some good progress while doing a single work set for every exercise, although I had to do a few replacements due to equipment limitations and rules restrictions (very strict gym pandering to the snowflakes).

I was able to increase my lifts by 5 lb per session for every lift except the overhead press, which I had to increase by 2.5 lb increments after reaching 155 lb.

I still had some fuel left in my linear progression, except for the squat, which was nearing intermediate level, but I had to stop training for almost a year due to personal reasons.

Having recently started training again, in a proper gym this time, my numbers are almost back to what they were, which means that I will soon have to transition to an intermediate program on the squat...probably the Texas Method.

My question is, if a minimalist approach with a single all-out work set is enough for me to gain strength and mass at the prescribed rate, are there any advantages to doing three sets across anyway? Will my reduced workload come back to haunt me once I start implementing 5x5?

If not, do I just switch to the Texas Method once progress stops entirely, or are there other ways to milk linear progression for those following a very low volume program?

Let me know if you need more information, such as my previous and current numbers or the modifications that I brought to my former program.

Thanks in advance,
    Usernamed

Rip touches on this in the book I believe. The reason for 3 sets of 5 is it's a good balance of intensity/volume. He mentions that 1 set would work for a rank novice but that it wouldn't be enough volume to continue progress past a certain point.

One set would work at first, but eventually I think you would hit a plateau faster than doing multiple sets. If you look at a normal progression scheme for lifters, you will see them starting with 3x5 for sets across, but eventually you may do one top set with some drop sets for 5's. If you are dead set against doing 3x5, I would at least do 2-3 drop sets afterwards with a lighter weight after doing your top set of 5. This should keep things moving better than just doing 1 set.

Also worth mentioning that a novice is typically incapable of performing a 1x5 set at high enough intensity to be an equivalent training stress (even for strength) as 3 sets of 5. As you lift you get better and better at throwing everything in the tank at a set, but it is not reasonable to recommend a rank novice attempt a 5RM as their workout.

That's also my understanding of 1x5, which is why I am operating in the dark when it comes to the transition to an intermediate program. I was hoping to find a precedent in the general training log section, but without success.

The 1x5 came as a necessity, since I do an intense, hour-long striking session before every workout, mostly on the heavy bag, which would have led to prohibitively long sessions with 3x5.

Before my hiatus, I managed to get my squat up to 390x5, and still had a few weeks left in the tank before switching over to 5x5.

Here is my reasoning: If 1x5 was enough to increase each lift by 5 lb every workout, and that 3x5 wasn't enough to lead to 10 lb increments, should I mess with the recipe or follow the program to the letter?

Also, if I respond well to higher intensity / lower volume, would 3x5 be sufficient for my intermediate phase, at least in the beginning?

1x5 to 3x5 and 3x5 to 5x5 both represent a two set increase, so it would be a similar raise in training volume, but I doubt that it would be that easy.

If you like the single 5 rep top set 5x5 ascending done in a Heavy Light Medium style program has gotten plenty of people strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernamed View Post
    That's also my understanding of 1x5, which is why I am operating in the dark when it comes to the transition to an intermediate program. I was hoping to find a precedent in the general training log section, but without success.

The 1x5 came as a necessity, since I do an intense, hour-long striking session before every workout, mostly on the heavy bag, which would have led to prohibitively long sessions with 3x5.

Before my hiatus, I managed to get my squat up to 390x5, and still had a few weeks left in the tank before switching over to 5x5.

Here is my reasoning: If 1x5 was enough to increase each lift by 5 lb every workout, and that 3x5 wasn't enough to lead to 10 lb increments, should I mess with the recipe or follow the program to the letter?

Also, if I respond well to higher intensity / lower volume, would 3x5 be sufficient for my intermediate phase, at least in the beginning?

1x5 to 3x5 and 3x5 to 5x5 both represent a two set increase, so it would be a similar raise in training volume, but I doubt that it would be that easy.
    While it is not the same thing, I've had a lot of success with a heavy top set and drop sets (sometimes 20% lighter or even lighter than that as a variant). This could be a short workout because you go all out on one set and then take 3-4 mins between sets for the drop sets since they are much lighter. Push the pace to make them harder basically, and you will have a short workout.

I've tried ramp-up sets in the past, but had nothing left by the time I reached my working weight, as it represented quite a significant increase in workload.

I'll give drop sets a try, since it truly seems like the best way to increase volume while maintaining the same intensity during my work set, at the same time developing my work capacity for when I have to transition to an intermediate program.

With some chance, it will be enough stimulus to keep making 5 lb increases on my OHP for a few more sessions.

Also, I'm in a new, fully-equipped gym, so this will be the first time that I'm able to follow the program without wasting time trying to find alternatives to the main lifts, so I'll be able to compare ADTP and NDTFP.

I like the results so far.

Well technically, if you were "DTFP" you would start with 3x5 with the same weight for across sets

starting strength coach development program
    There's also a carryover from having previously run a novice LP - subsequent LPs support much faster progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast