starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Weight at Beginning of Intermediate Program

Default Squat Weight at Beginning of Intermediate Program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    44 year old lifter. 6'4" 233lbs

I'm looking for a recommendation for setting up my squat for HLM. I'm just finishing SSLP and my last two training days of squats were 315lbs for 5 reps (with 2 backoff sets) and 315 for 3 reps for 3 sets across. Both of these training days took a herculean effort to complete. Felt like I was lifting a mountain. My last training of 5 reps, 3 sets across was at 300lbs.

The Barbell Prescription suggests staring HLM with a single set of 5 from the last weight from SSLP and then working up to 4-5 sets over the next several weeks. However, this assumes the 3 sets of 5 completed at the end of SSLP. In any event, should I start at 300lbs and work up from there? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie95 View Post
    The Barbell Prescription suggests staring HLM with a single set of 5 from the last weight from SSLP and then working up to 4-5 sets over the next several weeks. However, this assumes the 3 sets of 5 completed at the end of SSLP. In any event, should I start at 300lbs and work up from there? Thanks!
    I'm running HLM. Warning: not a coach.

I try to pick a weight for sets across on heavy day where my *last* set ends a rep short of form breakdown or failure.
    I.e. that last rep of the last set will be clearly slow, but not come to a near stop.

If I feel like that last set was 2+ reps from failure, I use a bigger jump in weight for next time. If I'm not sure I could have gotten one more rep, a smaller jump.

You don't have to pick right the first time. Start conservatively and work up.