starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those that eliminte Power Cleans during NLP. What do you put in its place?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I used to do cleans, because they are fun. But I'm old and bad at them, can't use much weight. So they don't do me much good.

My most recent SSLP run, I used chins on days I didn't deadlift.

For someone in your demographic I think rows are a good choice.

I'd set it up like this:

Week 1
    SQ
    BP
    Chin

SQ
    P
    DL

SQ
    BP
    Row

Week 2
    SQ
    P
    Chin

SQ
    BP
    DL

SQ
    P
    Row

Do 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps for your rows.
    Last edited by Ben Patterson; 10-06-2017 at 07:16 PM.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but Power Cleans, for people doing SS, seem to be what Squats are to regulars gym rats. People have an anxiety about doing an exercise they've never done, or have never been taught, or they think they're not capable of doing. I'll be 60 in a few weeks, and I love the Power Clean. Hopefully I'll go rogue sometime in the future and combine my Power Cleans and my Presses into my program as one complete exercise. As far as explosive power is concerned, the older you get, the more important that explosive power can be in certain situations. I had chronic back problems via a fractured vertebrae. Since resuming regular strength training, my back hasn't been a problem.

You might want to get a copy of "The Barbell Prescription". The book is Starting Strength targeted to masters (over 35). Power cleans are only recommended for those who are physically able to do them. I think you are right to think that they are not for your injured back.

For 5th decade masters (40+), Sullivan suggests for early novice:

A
    Squats
    Bench
    Dead Lift

B
    Squat
    Press
    Lat. Pulls 3X8-10 or Body weight rows 3X10 or Chins

Well, cleans are not the only way to develop power. He could do various jumps. He could do high pulls. He could do swings. If someone is older and squatting heavy I think dB rows are a good move. Give the low back a break and really focus on the lats
    Even something like incline dB rows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    If you aren't going to do them, sub in heavy rows or do a lighter deadlift day.
    I’m going to give a lighter deadlift day. See how that works. I was thinking 80-85% of the weight if my heavy dead day.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    I’m going to give a lighter deadlift day. See how that works. I was thinking 80-85% of the weight if my heavy dead day.
    I've been using paused deadlifts (pause 2 seconds, 1" off the floor) at about 90% of my heavy day.

Hm. That seems a bit heavy, probably how I tweaked my back the other week.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    I've been using paused deadlifts (pause 2 seconds, 1" off the floor) at about 90% of my heavy day.

Hm. That seems a bit heavy, probably how I tweaked my back the other week.
    I tried this last night. Felt good. First time I ever did pause deadlifts. Used 80% of my heavy day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12