starting strength gym

Thread: Severe back soreness

Default Severe back soreness

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello!

I've been dealing with a pretty gnarly back problem.

I ran the Texas Method pretty successfully for about 1.5 years (topping out this March at a 5RM squat/deadlift 355/375). This spring, I started getting some severe back soreness in my lower back. It got so bad I couldn't even unpack a loaded barbell for a squat or setup in the bottom position for a deadlift.

I took about a month off, came back to the TM, but had to stop after another 2 weeks or so due to the same pain.

Then I took 2 more weeks off, ran the Starr protocol into the LP, but had to stop at 255/295. I took 2 more weeks off, ran the Starr into LP again, and hit the same stall point.

I'm 3 weeks into my third attempt at the LP and feel like I'll be lucky to get much further than the past 2 rounds. My back is so darn sore and I am beginning to lose hope I'll ever be able to train again.

Any suggestions?
    Do I need to go down to squatting and deadlifting 1x a week for a while? I've thought about that but it will just take me so darn long to get my strength back up.

I'm 31 years old. 6'1. Roughly 200 pounds give or take. X-rays were negative and have not had much luck with any PTs. A SSC has checked my form.

Thanks!

Duffer

I'd stop chasing the same goals that have led to this for a bit. Why not focus on some variations or possibly do a 6 month run of bodybuilding on a body part split. Injuries are a good time to change the focus so you can set new prs. Ride that wave for awhile, you might even like it.

Get a new form check.