starting strength gym

Thread: Fat Loss and Strength Training Video (NEW)

Default Fat Loss and Strength Training Video (NEW)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Andy, nice video and thanks for sharing. Very informative.

At 40y 5'10 313lbs, am I better off doing this HLM for fat loss, or continuing with LP for a few more months.

I failed a rep on my SQ (320), BP (185), and DL (330) this week for the first time, but I was definitely not eating very much. Particularly on the Friday evening workout I had only eaten 440ish calories for the entire day. (After the workout I housed 3 salmon steaks, a whole bag of steamed veggies and a nice serving of ice cream). Typical daily goal is 2600 cal w/ 250g protein, although I rarely hit that number and am most often 180-210g protein.

Thanks

I always put myself in the shoes of the person who I am training and ask..."What would I do if I was this person at this moment in time?"

If I'm 40 and I'm 5'10 and 313 lbs, I'm gonna try and get my body weight down to about 250 lbs as soon as possible and see where I'm at. How do I feel, how do I look? etc, and then reassess at 250 lbs.

So first thing is to get your diet fixed. Get on something strict and get consistent with it. Not difficult...meat, veggies, not much else. Hit up some cardio 5-6 days per week for about 1 hour at a time. Train 4-5 times per week with fairly high per session volume, as this will help get your blood sugar under control better than heavy low rep stuff all the time. You might look at something like Wendler's Boring But Big version of 531. Under your circumstances, this type of programming would be appropriate.

Very timely video, Andy, at least for me. I bought SM40+ and this info, along with the dietary guidelines in that program, gives me a pretty good idea of what I need to do to shed some tonnage as my LP peters out. I'll probably actually do GGW (which I also bought) along with cardio on the off days while implementing these concepts.

With all the great advice you provide for free, or nearly free, I don't see how you make any money with your personal training business but I'm not complaining. Many thanks.

The personal training business is really a different business altogether than what I provide online. Two completely different types of client/customer profiles.

Thanks, Andy. I want you to know how much I'm getting out of your videos and books. It's really a blessing for a poor boy like me.

Very relevant topic for me. I especially enjoyed the timed cheats! From now on, it's TWO orders of fries!

I did have a question, and sorry if it's very basic.

The timed cheat that happens the night before the workout---those calories are part of the normal diet plan? I ask because in Practical Programming (forgot the page but it's under General Considerations) there is talk a bout how the common idea that a 200 calorie surplus is sufficient for growth is way too low. It recommends eating 1000-2000 extra calories on the day of the workout.

So is the proper thing (for someone about 25% BF) to eat extra calories for the cheat, or just eat extra calories on the day of the workout? Or should this person not be having extra calories on the workout day. Sorry if the question isn't clear, I'm running on too little sleep (luckily it's a deload week).

starting strength coach development program
    My preference is for the cheat to occur the DAY BEFORE the heaviest / hardest training session of the week. It'll give your body time to assimilate the excess glycogen and you won't feel as lethargic going into training. If you've ever dieted really hard for like 6 (or more) days in a row and then have a giant carb heavy cheat meal you know about lethargy. You'll want to sleep, not train. Better have it the day before as last meal of the day and then go to bed. Watch Brian Shaw's 12,000 calorie day on Youtube. Same concept. Eats clean all day and then right before bed is Italian takeout and a cheesecake....in order to prep for his volume deadlift workout THE NEXT DAY. His nutrition guy, Nathan Payton has been a friend of mine for 8 years and we talk often. That's where I stole the whole concept from.