starting strength gym

Thread: Burned out

Default Burned out

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know it's in the forum somewhere but I'll ask anyway. When do I take a break? Should I schedule a light week instead?

Male, 44y.o., 5'10, 228lb, PR's- 430 squat, 455 dead, 305 bench, 210 press. I have been training 18 months and have attended a starting strength seminar. Been on intermediate program for last six months or so.

Seems like everything hurts, not injured, but nagging to the point that I'm hating training.

Light week? Week long break every three months? Six? Stop being a pussy and never?

Take two weeks and deload. Train 2 days per week on both weeks. Slash volume by maybe 50-60% but don't drop intensity too much. Intensity will preserve your strength gains and dropping volume lets fatigue dissipate. You'll lose a bit of your conditioning and tolerance to volume but not problem.

This post is timely. I am a similar age, training experience, and strength level as tomoehler and am feeling the same way - hip, shoulder, knee pain all coming at the conclusion of a pretty intense (for me) block of training.
    I was planning on taking one deload week. You didn't have to twist my arm much to convince me to take a second week! Thanks!