starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight to increase maximal strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    To me, this question is ultimately the same as the question "What numbers will I reach on LP?" or "What body weight should I be at, at 5'9"?" NO ONE CAN TELL YOU THIS, and anyone who claims to is lying to you or just ignorant of his or her own ignorance. You are 16 years old. Just continue to gain weight at an intelligent rate, continue lifting intelligently (e.g. smart programming, good form, get a coach), etc., and you'll very likely hit 700 in your 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    To me, this question is ultimately the same as the question "What numbers will I reach on LP?" or "What body weight should I be at, at 5'9"?" NO ONE CAN TELL YOU THIS, and anyone who claims to is lying to you or just ignorant of his or her own ignorance. You are 16 years old. Just continue to gain weight at an intelligent rate, continue lifting intelligently (e.g. smart programming, good form, get a coach), etc., and you'll very likely hit 700 in your 20s.
    Another person so provincial with respect to the culture on this board that he/she completely loses the fact that benchmarking norms within gender,age and weight class is worthless. Asking the question :given my gender, height, starting weight, age (and assuming no health issues), what can a typical person who runs LP to the end and does so correctly typically expect to end up at in the 4 big lifts, with an error bar of + - 10% is a logical question that can help one gauge progress and set realistic goals.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    what can a typical person who runs LP to the end and does so correctly typically expect to end up at in the 4 big lifts, with an error bar of + - 10% is a logical question that can help one gauge progress and set realistic goals.
    How does the answer to this question change the actions that a lifter will take?
    If a lifter sets an end of LP goal of 250 or 405, it doesn't change the strategy of running an LP. For a committed, educated trainee the result will be the same (+- your allowed 10%). Goal setting during the LP doesn't change how an LP is run or where it ends.

Another person so provincial with respect to the culture on this board that he/she completely loses the fact that benchmarking norms within gender,age and weight class is worthless. Asking the question :given my gender, height, starting weight, age (and assuming no health issues), what can a typical person who runs LP to the end and does so correctly typically expect to end up at in the 4 big lifts, with an error bar of + - 10% is a logical question that can help one gauge progress and set realistic goals.
    Not only do I still disagree that setting end result numbers like that is a reliable process, the better point is that it could potentially serve to end one's LP prematurely, or cause one to think they're doing something wrong when they're not.

Let's say you set a goal for me after my having given you my stats. You tell me, eh I'd say 315 with an error margin of +/- 10%. What happens when the weight gets "really heavy" once I fall within that range? Oop, must be nearing the end of LP: time for a reset, must be time for a light day, hell probably smart to go ahead and switch to intermediate programming.

Or the opposite could happen. Maybe I just have shit for genetics, and I'm sitting here spinning my wheels at a weight lower than you predicted, resetting my weight, putting in light days, eating 5000 calories (1,500 more than is necessary for me probably), thinking, fuck ive gotta be doing something wrong bc I'm not with the "error margin" that internet-dude-from-the-forums-who-knows-much-more-than-I-do predicted for me. All when really, my LP is just done.

The point isn't that given every single relevant factor we couldn't maybe, kind of sort of, with some degree of error margin, predict what you may or may not, possibly hit at the end of your LP. The point is, just run the fucking program, and see where YOU end up. See where YOU fail, and learn that about yourself. Take YOURSELF to the edge, and see where YOUR limits are. That's the beauty of the program, or part of it anyway.

I have seen adult males finish their 3x5 squat LP in the 200s. I have seen adult males finish their 3x5 LP in excess of 500.

No one has the data to provide an error margin of 10% or anything even close to that level of precision. There aren’t even enough people who actually do the program correctly to have a reasonable sample in most of the relevant demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    I have seen adult males finish their 3x5 squat LP in the 200s. I have seen adult males finish their 3x5 LP in excess of 500.

No one has the data to provide an error margin of 10% or anything even close to that level of precision. There aren’t even enough people who actually do the program correctly to have a reasonable sample in most of the relevant demographics.
    Looks like we're forced to tell adult males "You're going to finish your LP at 405 with an error margin of +/- 50%." Because at least that statement SOUNDS more intelligent than, "I don't know, let's just find out."

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    How does the answer to this question change the actions that a lifter will take?
    If a lifter sets an end of LP goal of 250 or 405, it doesn't change the strategy of running an LP. For a committed, educated trainee the result will be the same (+- your allowed 10%). Goal setting during the LP doesn't change how an LP is run or where it ends.
    Knowing the norms ca assure that you actually do run LP correctly. If a 24 year old 220 pound male (15% BF) male in good health feels he is done at 250 pounds on the squat, knowing that he should likely be at 320 will allow him to reassess whether its just getting hard or if he is truly ready for an intermediate program. Like I stated, benchmarking is useful in setting realistic goals. The SS board is the only place I've ever seen the value of benchmarking discounted and people mocked for espousing it's value. My god, even RIP references strength standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post

There aren’t even enough people who actually do the program correctly to have a reasonable sample in most of the relevant demographics.
    1) Adult males finish in the 200's and others in the 400's? Both were in the same size and age category?

2) There is PLENTY of adult makes who have run SS to get a normal distribution. The problem is that no one has collected the data. The bigger problem is that anyone who dares ask the question is ridiculed for doing so because benchmarking has absolute zero value in strength training.

starting strength coach development program
    My god, even RIP references strength standards.
    Yes, Rip speaks about strength standards in glowing terms: link

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast