starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight to increase maximal strength

Default Gaining weight to increase maximal strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What would be a good weight to be at 5'11 for your levers to work well? I am 16 and 157, 5'11, can pull 405, wanna pull 700. I am not afraid of getting bigger, I just want to set a deadlift state record and bulk after December 9.

275-308? Or even SHW??

Also I tried to put this in the nutrition section but it didn't take my post. Sorry guys.

264 would be a good goal if you could fill it out and be reasonably lean. 231 should be doable. I wouldn't go overboard and try to bulk straight up to this because you could overdue it and then end up really fluffy. If you go above this you are now in the 120kg+ bracket which means . . .well. Big people. Very big people.

The strongest guys in the world around 5'11" would be SHW in the IPF. For feds that have the 308 class, some are there too. Eric Lilliebridge is about 5'11" and he weighs 305-308 and has a bit of a 6 pack visible. But it took him years to get up to that weight with elite genetics, etc. Ray Williams in 5'11" or 6', and he has a much higher BF%, but he is also one of the strongest people on the planet at about 400#.

So you may get there eventually, but I wouldn't race up to that weight. Just slowly keep gaining as you get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    But it took him years to get up to that weight with elite genetics, etc.
    Is that said with a wink wink and nudge nudge?

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    Is that said with a wink wink and nudge nudge?
    He is open about that stuff, but it really is elite genetics too. Most people even taking some kind of sauce aren't going to get that strong. It is probably a 10% boost at best, which is why guys like Ray are in the same league un-sauced, but about 100# heavier.

Alright I shouldn't have even posted this. Now I hear "oh elite genetics this and genetics genetics!" I don't make the genetics excuse. I'm pretty sure I have good genetics bc I see so many people like over 200 pounds who lift less than I do on this forum; telling me that I can't do something means I'm still gunna do it. I believe I have the potential to pull 700, and so do my powerlifting coaches... it's just a question of how big I need to get in order to be that strong.

Genetics is the worst excuse you can make... ask Brandon Lilly or George Leeman...

I do not mean to offend anyone, I just think that so many people limit themselves with this mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by ehcundiff View Post
    Alright I shouldn't have even posted this. Now I hear "oh elite genetics this and genetics genetics!" I don't make the genetics excuse. I'm pretty sure I have good genetics bc I see so many people like over 200 pounds who lift less than I do on this forum; telling me that I can't do something means I'm still gunna do it. I believe I have the potential to pull 700, and so do my powerlifting coaches... it's just a question of how big I need to get in order to be that strong.

Genetics is the worst excuse you can make... ask Brandon Lilly or George Leeman...

I do not mean to offend anyone, I just think that so many people limit themselves with this mindset.
    Umm...

Who is telling you not to gain weight? I know I and other said go for it, but I only added that you should slowly do it over time. You don't need to be 5'11" tall and 300# to pull a 500 deadlift. Hell, the extra weight may even be a bad thing for the deadlift in a scenario like this.

I hate to tell you, but genetics are really important. George and Brandon both have good genetics for lifting, which is why they pull in the 8's to low 9's, etc. Brandon also benches over 600#. The fact is that you may not have the genetics to be "the best" no matter how big you get. But you said you wanted to pull 700. You don't need the most elite genetics to do that. Couple that with a willingness to train hard, eat, rest, etc., you can probably get there. But you may/may not have the ability to pull 900+ no matter how hard you train or what drugs you take. That may not be in the cards. See what I am getting at? This doesn't mean you should slack off. Train like you want it, and you may get it or you may not. But still give it 100%.

lol, literally not a single person in this thread said you couldn't do it kid. At 5'11", 157lbs, you need to start eating now. Not in December. The strongest 150-160lbs people in the world are like 5'2"-5'3".

Without drugs, at 5'11", the lightest class you could consider is 231. The current world champion, Krystof Wierzbicki is 5'10"-5'11" and quite lean at around 100-102kg(220-225lbs) even though he competes in the 105kg weight class (231lbs). He's really the only elite competitor in that weight class who is lean. He's generally taller than most of his closest competition (Garrett Blevins is a similar height though not nearly as lean). He's pulled over 400kg in competition (881lbs) but he's absolutely perfectly built to deadlift. Gorilla arms, short torso, huge hands, etc.

Most 5'10"-5'11" people who are at the world level are in the 120kg weight class which is 264lbs. There are also quite a few elite superheavy weight lifters (in the unlimited weight class, basically) who are 5'11" or shorter. Jezza Uepa is 5'8" or something like that and he has squatted over 450kg/1000lbs although he cannot pull 700lbs. That's one thing about deadlifts -- getting too fat actually hurts your leverages and will make you pull significantly less.

Without knowing more about you, assuming you still care about powerlifting in 5-10 years, I'd probably recommend that you gain 100lbs+ over the course of your lifting "career". Don't do it too fast because you'll just regret getting super fat and if your body fat gets high enough (35-40%+), you'll pull *less* not more. You'll squat and bench more, but the deadlift is massively hindered by being super fat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ehcundiff View Post
    Also I tried to put this in the nutrition section but it didn't take my post. Sorry guys.
    You don't see your posts until Jordan replies.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast