starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing 1RM at the end of novice

Default Testing 1RM at the end of novice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After I am done with my novice progression and before I switch over intermediate programming, I would like to get a clear picture of my actual new 1RM's. Just for the sake of knowing.

I know I can just guess what my max's will be based on programs and take 2 work out days to work up to them (ex. DL/BP one day and SQ/PR the other). But since I've done nothing but 5's, I'm guessing a week or 2 of intensity ramping would help me "learn" to handle the higher weights and then find my actual maxes? No idea. I've never really done anything but rep work (outside of maxing out on the bench press like a noob back in the day).

Whats the best way to do this?

You’re on the right track as far as splitting the days in which you test them as a late novice/early intermediate. You’re also on the right track as testing before you start intermediate. It’s a good measure of progress.

Two things to note though: your maxes will not be significantly more than your 5s. Do not be discouraged at this. Second, taking a week or two to “practice” intensity work simply isn’t enough. You won’t really gain any skill significantly in that time frame for it to make much of a difference. You might as well test now, knowing you have not had practice “displaying strength”. Just know that “displaying strength” will start to become an important part of your programming going forward.

Would it be fair to say, though, that testing your "1RM's" just for the sake of knowing doesn't really qualify as training? That is, your "1RM's" that you come out with will not influence future programming. So what's the point? It just kind of wastes training time IMO.

Nothing you said makes any sense.

You didn't reply to anyone in particular so unfortunately we won't know who didn't make sense, but I'll assume it was me since I'm the last person to say anything.

All I was saying was that testing for 1RM's for a novice/early intermediate is unnecessary and even counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Would it be fair to say, though, that testing your "1RM's" just for the sake of knowing doesn't really qualify as training? That is, your "1RM's" that you come out with will not influence future programming. So what's the point? It just kind of wastes training time IMO.
    I understand your statement as it relates to Rip's official stance.......In theory I try to "train" and not just "exercise". However, this is the real world. I don't TRAIN to be an Olympic athlete. Since training is not my lifes #1 priority, I leave room for doing things that I WANT to do as well, even if it doesn't strictly contribute to my "training".

Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    Yea I've watched that. As far as I remember, it mostly talked about how to work up to the weight on the max out day. Which I do know how. My question was geared towards whether I should prepare myself with training changes for a week or two. I think what I gathered from the answers here on the forums, the answer is no.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I understand your statement as it relates to Rip's official stance.......In theory I try to "train" and not just "exercise". However, this is the real world. I don't TRAIN to be an Olympic athlete. Since training is not my lifes #1 priority, I leave room for doing things that I WANT to do as well, even if it doesn't strictly contribute to my "training".
    I agree with you man. I disagree that maxing out isn't training or somehow bad for intermediates. Taking a week to max out, won't make you weaker or completely ruin your program. The bottom line is, you are training, because you want to be strong and healthy. If maxing out every now and then, will refuel your motivation and your desire to train, then do it. You have to tailor any program to your needs. If you need to max out to remain discipline or just want to max out for the sake of maxing out, then do it. Just make sure you are enjoying your training.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast