starting strength gym

Thread: The next step

Default The next step

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone,
    I am still in my Novice LP, but have been reading practical programming for when the time comes to advance myself. I was scrolling through articles today and came across

The Texas Method and 5/3/1 | Jordan Feigenbaum

This article has turned my plans for the future upside down. I was wondering what everybody else's has done once you finished your LP.

I’ve run HLM style programs and a HL 4-day split.

What’s your age/sex/height/weight/goal? All of those factors can help you determine what to do.

I had a good experience running Jordan's/Austin's "The Bridge" program. You'll have to get used to RPE and supplemental lifts, so there was a bit of a learning curve when I ran the program; that's why I'll run it again.

Have you guys run Texas Method as well? I'm torn currently, the fanboy in me wants to run TM, but the analytical side of me is telling me not to waste the time and just do an HML- the RPE scale seems a littleintimidating attempting to learn. I'm Male, 6ft, 240lbs, and 27 years old; as far as my goals, I want to complete my novice progression and hopefully next year compete in a local powerlifting meet.

Vanilla TM isn't advised, although I have read among the boards that some of the iterations of TM are fine. 4 day TM I read somewhere was fine, but don't quote me on that.
    I like HLM but a lot of people have had success with the Bridge, as DLK has mentioned. RPE isn't too bad; it has a learning curve, sure, but you'll get used to it. I got a lot of help on here about how to transition, so there are lots of stuff on the boards about intermediatte programming and how to transition. Use the search function and you'll have enough reading to last a semester. Getting a coach really helped bring me peace of mind and filled in any gaps I had about the transition--may be worth it if you're a guy that worries about details like I am. I am chuckling to myself as I am typing because not too long ago I was asking advice for how to transition. Good luck man

What are your lifts?

Working weight: DL is 425, Squat is 340, bench is 225, OHP is 140 and PCs are 135...I need coaching on them badly.

starting strength coach development program
    If you are recovering well, planning on competing, and don't mind gaining some more weight you'll do fine with standard TM. If it gets unbearable you can switch to the 4 day split or HLM. Early intermediate stage will be a lot of experimentation and trial and error anyway. If you can get coaching, do it. It will help immensely