starting strength gym

Thread: What’s your protocol on when to switch to micro loading?

Default What’s your protocol on when to switch to micro loading?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today I got my 3 sets of 5 at 120lbs in the Overhead Press. I feel like I might have another 1 maybe 2 more times I can add another 5lbs. Do you think I should wait till I fail to get my 3 sets of 5 and then microload? Or should I start once I feel like I can’t make a 5lb jump?

Let’s say next week I get 125lbs for 5 reps on sets 1&2. And on set 3 I get 3 or 4 reps. Would you recommend repeating 125 next time I do the Press and if I get 5x3 to start microloading after that? Or is there a better protocol on how to handle this transition?

Thanks!

I usually start microloading the Press prior to failing reps

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    That's great info for those of us approaching that situation. Thanks, coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Is this your protocol on the bigger lifts as well?

Lowering your increments between sessions is always better than failing reps. Failed Squats/Deads/Benches, etc are too damn hard to recover from on a high frequency program like the Novice LP. Be conservative. I typically only microload the squat or DL with smaller women, older trainees, or very young trainees. Microloading the Squat/DL for a guy in his 20s-50s with a little bit of strength is just gonna be beating him into a bloody pulp every week. It means his rate of adaptation has slowed to a crawl and it's probably time to start looking into a weekly progression

Andy,

On the subject of microloading the press and milking the LP for all it's worth, I seem to recall you saying that you think it's generally better to transition to intermediate programming rather than futz around with a bunch of resets on the LP. Correct?

I'm about 6'6", 280 lbs. but I'll be damned if my press isn't stuck at a mere 127.5 lbs. I had hoped to run the LP up to at least a wheel on each side, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I've been making 1.25 lb jumps on the press for about 3 months to avoid stalling, which has happened anyway. I'm also 55 y/o, and I'm really starting to feel like I need more volume. Bench is 197.5 lbs and still going. I'm also following the dietary guidelines you recommend in SM40+ which isn't going to help matters, but I also want to work my way up to doing a bunch of bodyweight stuff. Too many conflicting goals, I guess.

starting strength coach development program
    You might try pressing and benching 2x/week every week if your schedule will allow. So set your Bench up on Monday and Friday, Press on Wednesday, and then sneak into the gym on Saturday and do an extra pressing session. If you are fatigued from previous days Bench you can Press a little lighter to make sure you get in all the volume, but you may find you can continue to go up in weight.