starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate weekly progression

Default Intermediate weekly progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I've just finished my lp and I'm looking to start either HLM or a 4 day split. I understand the basic format of these programs and what constitutes heavy, light and medium but what I don't understand is how much and when to add weight to the bar in order to progress from session to session, or in the intermediate sense, week to week. I've read the intermediate section of PPST and I've watched your youtube videos on the programs but I'm still unclear as to how I should manipulate my load over time.

Thanks in advance.

There are actually 2 boards labeled “Programming”, one in the Starting Strength” section which is Andy’s board and one in the Strength and Conditioning “ section which is a more public board. This is the public one, so if you wanted to ask Andy specifically you’ll want to post up on his board.

However, the answer to your question is to increase the load on every heavy day (at least for now).

For example:

Week 1
    M
    Squat: 315x5x4
    Bench: 225x5x4
    Power clean: 185x3x5

W
    Squat: 255x5x2
    Press: 165x5x3
    Chin ups

F
    Squat: 285x5x3
    Bench: 205x5x3
    Deadlift:405x5

Week 2
    M
    Sq: 320x5x4
    BP: 227.5x5x4
    PC: 187.5x3x5

W
    Sq: 260x5x2
    P: 167.5x5x3
    Chins

F
    Sq: 290x5x3
    Bp: 207.5x5x3
    DL: 410x5

This example follows this template:

M
    Squat heavy
    Pressing: heavy
    Pulling medium

W
    Squatting light
    Pressing light
    Pulling light/assistance

F
    Squatting medium
    Pressing medium
    Pulling heavy

Did that help clear things up?

Cool thing about HLM is you can lay it out however you want. This also can make it confusing! Ben’s program is solid. I’m running HLM right now and love it. It’s like this:

TUES (H)
    Sq 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    DL 1x5

Thur (L)
    Tempo sq- 2x5 80% mon weight
    Press-3x5
    B.B. row-3x5

Saturday (M)
    Sq- 5x5 (90% Mon)
    Closegrip bench 3x5
    Stiff leg DL

When I got done with my LP my coach told me to take a 15% reset on all lifts to let some fatigue dissipate and ease into HLM. This turned out to be a little too conservative for me. So,12-15%? YMMV. Bar speed has been good so we have had a few ten pound jumps but it’s mostly been five

Sldl 3x5 *

I understand the basic format of these programs and what constitutes heavy, light and medium but what I don't understand is how much and when to add weight to the bar in order to progress from session to session, or in the intermediate sense, week to week.
    Seems like you answered your own question within your question. "When do I add weight in order to progress on a weekly basis?" Well, on a weekly basis. As far as how much weight to add, there's no standardized number for everyone in all situations. 5 pounds is typical for lower body lifts, less than 5 (usually 2.5 pounds or less) for upper body lifts--granted that recovery is optimal. But we know nothing about you so its hard to say whether you'll be "typical."