starting strength gym

Thread: KSC 5 day powerbuilding with no machines

Default KSC 5 day powerbuilding with no machines

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello. In a previous threat I asked about the 8/5/2 rotation for my girlfriend and you said it'd be fine. We never got round to starting the powerbuilding programme as there was a powerlifting competition we wanted to train for so we gave 4 day Texas a run instead having had good strength increases on the 3 day previously.

We are returning to sea shortly and I am itching to try your KSC 5 day power building programme. There is a problem on the exercise selection on some of the assistance exercises due to a no machines, cables or smith machine or glute ham raise bench (loads of squat racks, bars and dumbbells which is brilliant).

On the hamstring targeted leg day, I have, after the deadlifts, gone for box squats then after that you say to put in GHR or leg curls. I'm stuck as to what to put in there. Good mornings? SLDL?

And a similar problem for the quad targeting leg day too. No leg ext machine. So after squats I've gone for front squats. What should be after that without any machines? I'm not sure what a sissy squat is but I read a long time ago that Vince Gironda did them for quads. Would they work? How stupid will I look doing them? Haha.

There's no calf raise machines but I would think doing them standing with dumbbells on both leg days would be okay?

After chin ups on upper back day you say to do a wide pull down. With no lat pull down, I'm thinking band assisted pull ups will do?

Thanks

Your best bet is to probably just run a lot of back off sets with the basic exercises, after the main work sets, rather than trying to slot in a bunch of movements that don't really fit the template or you don't know how to do. A couple of broader points (1) if you don't have access to a full gym then the Power-Building Program may not be your best bet. Might be easier to go with something more basic. (2) If you don't know how to properly substitute exercises then you may not have broad enough gym experience to run a power building type program.

Thanks for your reply. We've started now. Just competed chests and bi day.

I appreciate that now might be the best time to start as the ship's gym doesn't all the equipment, but I think I really need a split routine like this right now. The 4 day Texas method had me written off with fatigue for a week and I've lost my heart for it a bit. There'll never be a perfect time for your powerbuilding routine so I just wanted to get on and finally give it a go.

Loved today's session, not felt that kind of pump for the last couple of years having been focusing on the programmes from PP with 5s mainly. The ten years before that I trained exclusively with 5 day splits but not with the principles you have outlined in this programme.

I have managed to find good exercises to substitute in your framework for everything but leg curls and leg extensions really, but in the past had access to leg curl and leg extension machines so never thought about substitutes for them. I had a thought today; maybe I could use bands on my ankles while my gym buddy (girlfriend) holds my thighs down on a bench but this might start to just be dicking around.

It's dicking around. Neither exercise is absolutely imperative. They help with some marginal growth because of the ability to volumize with concentrated higher rep sets, but they do nothing for strength IMO. It's okay if you skip

Thanks. That's good, as my legs respond very well to squats alone anyway, as do my girlfriends. Mine measure just short of 29 inches around and that's from doing 5x5 squats (PR 180kg x 5x5) so I should be safe to lay off extra work for legs as buying jeans is enough of a chore already.