starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch to Texas Method or Keep Resetting?

Default Switch to Texas Method or Keep Resetting?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Right off the bat, I'm going to apologize for posting something related to this topic for the millionth time, but I wanted to get some opinions on switching to the Texas Method (or some other intermediate program) vs. resetting multiple times to milk everything out of the Novice LP. I'm a little sensitive to this because I know I switched to the TM too early the first time I did the Novice LP. I've since taken a forced month-ish long layoff (resumed training in August) and have been running the Novice & Advanced Novice LP since then.

25 yo male. 6'1" @ 210 lbs. All weights in lbs.
    Squat: 305x3x5
    Bench: 222.5x2x5
    Deadlift: 325x1x5
    Press: 130x2x5

I have reset bench twice now and have been microloading (2.5 lb jumps). I have also reset my OHP three times and have been microloading (2.5 lb jumps). I failed my last squat session @ 310x3x5, but my reps at 305 had...let's say borderline acceptable form. I have not missed deadlift reps yet, but the form is starting to get a little sloppy, too.

I'm pretty confident my upper body is ready for intermediate programming. I'm just don't think my lower body lifts are quite as ready. I'm hesitant to switch because 1). I switched too early the first time I did the Novice LP and regret missing out on more novice gains, and 2). I feel like my end of Novice LP numbers are still kind of shitty for my age/height/weight.

So, what do you all think I should do? Should I reset my squat and continue to reset my bench & press and really milk the novice progression? Should I do intermediate programming for my bench & press while simultaneously doing novice LP for my squats & DL, or transition completely to the Texas Method and maybe compensate by making more aggressive jumps in squat and deadlift early on in the program? Or something else? Am I allowing my past experiences to cause me to overthink this? Let me know, and thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by NEB92 View Post
    Right off the bat, I'm going to apologize for posting something related to this topic for the millionth time, but I wanted to get some opinions on switching to the Texas Method (or some other intermediate program) vs. resetting multiple times to milk everything out of the Novice LP. I'm a little sensitive to this because I know I switched to the TM too early the first time I did the Novice LP. I've since taken a forced month-ish long layoff (resumed training in August) and have been running the Novice & Advanced Novice LP since then.

I have reset bench twice now and have been microloading (2.5 lb jumps). I have also reset my OHP three times and have been microloading (2.5 lb jumps). I failed my last squat session @ 310x3x5, but my reps at 305 had...let's say borderline acceptable form. I have not missed deadlift reps yet, but the form is starting to get a little sloppy, too.

I'm pretty confident my upper body is ready for intermediate programming. I'm just don't think my lower body lifts are quite as ready. I'm hesitant to switch because 1). I switched too early the first time I did the Novice LP and regret missing out on more novice gains, and 2). I feel like my end of Novice LP numbers are still kind of shitty for my age/height/weight.

So, what do you all think I should do? Should I reset my squat and continue to reset my bench & press and really milk the novice progression? Should I do intermediate programming for my bench & press while simultaneously doing novice LP for my squats & DL, or transition completely to the Texas Method and maybe compensate by making more aggressive jumps in squat and deadlift early on in the program? Or something else? Am I allowing my past experiences to cause me to overthink this? Let me know, and thanks in advance!
    Sounds like it's time to move to intermediate. Those are good results, good job. Do the Bridge written by Jordan and Austin.

Can you clarify what advanced novice adjustments you have made?
    Light squat day?
    1 set of 5 with back off on any lifts?
    5 sets of 3 on any lifts?
    What is you DL, PC, Chin rotation currently?

If it's time for your upper body lifts to go to intermediate programming, keep the SQ and DL moving on a novice progression as long is it is still working.
    This is also a great time to see a coach if one is available to you. Some form clean-up on the squat and deadlift might keep the LP rolling for a bit longer. Plus they are a good resource to bounce ideas off of as your programming gets more complicated.

I'm not a coach and I'm just nearing the end of the Novice stage myself. But my 2cents is why don't you switch your upper body to intermediate training and start milking your lower body movements using the "advance novice" techniques discussed in the books. For squat that would be adding weight the same way you have been to the squat, but only on the first set. Then do 2 backoff sets. For the deadlift, if you haven't stalled it sounds like you can keep driving forward. Judging off your Squat numbers, it looks like you have a ton of progress left in the deadlift. But of course it may just be the way you're built.

I would switch to an intermediate program on your upper body lifts. I would keep progressing on the LP for DL. And squat.

Your lifts don't magically just all go to intermediate at the same time.

Assuming you are doing everything else correct (sleep, diet, rest between sets, etc) . . .
    I vote switch, upper and lower, to intermediate.

Even if you did "give up" some of novice gains for your "lower body", this case doesn't look like a huge discrepancy to me.
    And the amount of so called "novice gains" left on the table is that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

The bigger problem is when some one switches to intermediate way too early,
    ..or...
    a bro just figures because they've been toodling around the weight room for a while,
    they can hop right into an intermediate program without ever doing any kind of novice LP.

Many times too, I see people fooling themselves with their "lower body" lifts.
    BarWeight increases maybe really only happening due to form creep (or maybe partially so).
    Bench and Press are sorta black and white, its hard to cheat without blatant cheating, or sh!tty form.
    Squat and deads . . . .ehhh . . . once you are at the end of LP, you can start rounding your deads a more each time to squeeze more weight out of a set of five.
    GM'ing your squats a little more and more, or cutting squat depth a hair here or there. . . etc.

Don't do TM or 531.
    I'd try something else. HLM, Bridge, etc

inb4 someone says he needs to gain 30 more lbs in BW.

stupid can't edit thing:

But yeah, 30 more pounds of BW would/might extend your Novice LP

Can you clarify what advanced novice adjustments you have made? ... What is you DL, PC, Chin rotation currently?
    Light squat day on Wednesday.
    I have been deadlifting 1x5 on Fridays. Bodyweight chins on Monday and weighted chins on Friday. I don't do power cleans anymore for various reasons other than just being a pussy.

Don't do TM or 531.
    I'd try something else. HLM, Bridge, etc
    I've seen more and more SS affiliated folks advising against the TM. Why is this? I was thinking of doing a modified version found on Jordan Feigenbaum's Barbell Medicine site 12 Ways To Skin The Texas Method | Barbell Medicine (#9 with RDL's subbed for Power Cleans) instead of the bare bones version of the program. I was under the impression that "philosophy" behind the TM was based on HLM principles. Am I wrong in assuming this?

inb4 someone says he needs to gain 30 more lbs in BW
    Ha, I was expecting a response like this. I'm actually planning on slowly getting my BW up to the 220-225 range, but I have no interest in walking around at 240. I'd like to avoid having to completely replace my wardrobe if at all possible.

I have been deadlifting 1x5 on Fridays. Bodyweight chins on Monday and weighted chins on Friday. I don't do power cleans anymore for various reasons other than just being a pussy.
    Whoops. Guess I need an edit option too. I've been deadlifting on Wednesdays, not Fridays.

starting strength coach development program
    At some point you'll want to add some medium days for your pulls. But not yet since it sounds like you are still making DL progress with your current volume.

I've seen more and more SS affiliated folks advising against the TM. Why is this?
    Jordan wrote an article about his thoughts on vanilla TM: Into the Great Wide Open: The Texas Method and 5/3/1

Most of the adjustments in the article you linked deal with the volume concerns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast