starting strength gym

Thread: Girls high school weightlifting

Default Girls high school weightlifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy coach baseball at a small school just got the girls weightlifting team thrown into our fall lifting program . Their contested lifts are Bench and Clean and Jerk . Any ideas??

Well, I guess for the girls you need to be doing a lot of Bench and Clean & Jerk. I would not make that program the same one you run for the boys baseball team.

For the boys I'd be doing something as close to the SS Model as possible. And for the girls....actually not all that much deviation.

Monday: Squat / Bench / Deadlift

Wednesday: Clean & Jerk / Squat / Press

Friday: Squat / Bench / Deadlift

I'd focus on Bench Press 2x/week since it is both a contested lift and it will help drive up their press and jerk at this stage. Squats and Deads will do more to help their C&J than C&J will at this point as well, but they still need to practice the lift 1x/week minimum.

Can you get them in 4-days per week? You didn't provide me with much information here.

Yeah thought about that the minute a submitted the question. They will be available 3 days per week . As for the boys we have been going two days due to the fall schedule which ends next week so we will be bumping up to three days . We have been running a model just as you suggested SS based with a couple extra shoulder and upper back prefab stuff.I have noticed that so far with the boys their days are all over the place. Like one day going good then the next lifting day in the tank. Is that something you have experienced with high school aged training?

sorry realized the lack of info the minute i submitted the question. Three days per week but two will be back to back. Same goes for baseball we have been going 2 days during the fall season but are bumping up to 3 days after next week when the season ends where 2 days will be back to back. We have been running a SS model twice a week with a little extra shoulder and back prehab stuff. I realize this is a less than optimal setup but thats the hand we were dealt . One more question/observation--I have noticed that the boys lifting days are all over the place . One day a kid is a beast next lift day completely in the tank . I know we all have off days but the majority of these guys are very extreme.Have you noticed this training high school aged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jcboffm View Post
    Yeah thought about that the minute a submitted the question. They will be available 3 days per week . As for the boys we have been going two days due to the fall schedule which ends next week so we will be bumping up to three days . We have been running a model just as you suggested SS based with a couple extra shoulder and upper back prefab stuff.I have noticed that so far with the boys their days are all over the place. Like one day going good then the next lifting day in the tank. Is that something you have experienced with high school aged training?
    Of course. They are generally unfocused and undisciplined and aren't going to do anything remotely close to what is necessary to recover when things get hard. BUT you can still have good results with them if they are coached hard. Make sure they understand what they are doing and if you can really get 2-3 of the leaders on the team totally bought in and progressing fast on the program the rest of the pack will follow more closely.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you