starting strength gym

Thread: TM snatch versus chins

Default TM snatch versus chins

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip, running 3 day TM as per Jordan's variation.

Volume Day
    Light Day
    Intensity Day
    SQ x 5 x 5 Deadlifts x 5 x 1
    SQ x 5RM
    BP x 5 x 5
    Press x 5 x 3 BP x 5RM
    Chins x max reps x 3 SQ x 5 x 2 @ 80% PC x 5 x 3
    Back Extensions

Any real need to add power snatch here? Could I also add weighted chins on Friday working to a 5RM?

The point in adding snatches to the rotation is to provide some more recovery time in between power clean sessions. There's not really any need to alternate between the two. There's lots of other things you can do to avoid stagnation in the clean such as alternating between it and some type of moderately heavy pull from the floor a la RDL or stiff legged deadlift, or even just cycle rep ranges on the clean for a while. Alternating between cleans and some kind of chins could work, too. Chins do need work at a bunch of different intensities, too. If we're talking about just adding weighted chins at the end of Friday's cleans, then we'd have to talk about recovery as well as exercise selection.

Can I make progress on both power movements and chins training them once a week as above? If I had to choose one to prioritise it would be chins because of the benefit I've seen to my pressing.

Alternately can I use the PC/PS/DL setup for pulls as well as chins, or will this impact recovery?

Once a week frequency for the power movements will allow you to progress for quite a while. Not so sure about only doing chins once a week, however. Maybe if you tried doing a submaximal chins workout on Friday, too, and then eventually started doing weighted chins on Monday and max rep sets on Friday you could make progress in this way.

Your body can get used to a lot if you're smart about implementing these kinds of things. I wouldn't recommend it if you're recomping or cutting, for instance. As to your second question, I believe you're asking if you can rotate between power clean, power snatch, and doing weighted chins. I don't know if reducing the power clean frequency to once every 3 weeks would be beneficial. I think doing both on the same day can be done, it's just a matter of easing into it and not drawing out your every workout to be 2+ hours long.

How about the following?

SQ 5 x 5 DL 1 x 5 SQ 1 x 5
    BP/PR 5 x 5 SQ 2 x 5 @ 80% BP/PR 1 x 5
    PS 6 x 2 BP/PR 3 x 5 @ 80% PC 5 x 3
    Chins 3-5 x max reps Curls 3 x 8-12 Weighted chins 5RM

starting strength coach development program
    Seems like you're trying to do too much at once. I definitely wouldn't recommend you go from your first graph to this one right away, maybe over the course of several weeks. You say you like doing chins more, so start there and add curls in much later. The main point I think you're missing, though, is that you're supposed to alternate cleans and snatches on the same day, not do both in the same week. If you did back extensions on Monday or Friday instead of snatches or cleans on one of those days and then alternated between cleans and snatches on the day you're not doing extensions, you'd be much better off. Looks aight otherwise.