starting strength gym

Thread: Novice programming - 72 hour cycle

Default Novice programming - 72 hour cycle

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,
    lately I had to take my focus off of lifting (mandatory 3k run, pullups and pre-deployment training). So here I am back at novice weights for me:
    Squat: 3 sets of 5x265lbs, Deadlift: 5x275lbs, 1x315lbs, Bench: 3 sets of 5x190lbs, Press: 3 sets of 5x125lbs

I never really got past novice phase but now I have 6 months ahead of me with regular regime and I am determined to get past novice. The catch is my life is organized into 72 hour cycles - 24 hour shift and then two easier days when I can train. This doesn't really go along with the SSLP program as it is sketched for 7 day cycles. I have to train 2 days in a row and then take a rest day. So how do I do this?

I tried Day1: Squat, Bench; Day2 Deadlift, Press, pullups; Day3 rest
    But I can't seem to fit the Cleans in and I feel quite taxed to do heavy Deadlift a day after heavy Squats.

I’d run it as A/B as described in the book but on a 72 hour schedule. So for example:

Work
    Workout A
    Rest
    Work
    Workout B
    Rest

It’s not ideal, but it will work. You have to make suboptimal adjustments sometimes to fit your life.

My work is not physical. I don't get to sleep, but otherwise it's a rest day. I sit at a desk the whole day.
    What do you say to this template:
    day 1 : Squat, Benchpress
    day 2 : pullups, cleans, light press
    day 3 : shift = rest
    day 4 : Deadlift, Press
    day 5 : pullups, light squat, light bench
    day 6 : shift = rest

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    My work is not physical. I don't get to sleep, but otherwise it's a rest day. I sit at a desk the whole day.
    What do you say to this template:
    day 1 : Squat, Benchpress
    day 2 : pullups, cleans, light press
    day 3 : shift = rest
    day 4 : Deadlift, Press
    day 5 : pullups, light squat, light bench
    day 6 : shift = rest
    This would work fine, but at this point you are basically doing the 4 day Texas method. Consider structuring it like #9 on Jordan's article.

Thank you for the advice. It fits my schedule perfectly. Because I miss one rest day, I will take three days off every few weeks or so.
    So far it seems to be going great. The only trouble I'm having is transferring to 3 sets of 8 reps on Press, I seem to lose steam after rep 6 or 7. The intensity is still going up though.

starting strength coach development program
    Dominicus, a 72 hour period is not the end of the world. You may even benefit from the extra recovery especially as your LP progresses. This program is not about quick gains. Stay focused on the big picture: long term strength increases while remaining injury free. Use that extra day for something easy that you enjoy to get the blood pumping but not so much that it will interfere with the training.

And remember, you have a full plate as you ramp up for deployment. Just do your best. The barbells will always be here. We will be here for you also, thanks for serving and protecting.