starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Program, why TM sucks and Jordan's program review

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know that when *I* tried Texas Method, I ran it as if it were SSLP, because that's all I knew.
    I relentlessly increased the volume-day and intensity-day weights, no matter how hard I was grinding. This was not good for me.

One benefit of an RPE style program is that it's very explicit about the fact that you should do *more volume* at *lower intensity* than SSLP.

More volume at lower intensity is the big shift in SSLP -> intermediate, for most intermediate programs. But I and many other people miss this point.

Sorry guys, I've been away on business and just flew back in earlier today... super tired. I'll respond quickly to a few posts and then hope to respond to more when I have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by salvilla View Post
    You can find it in this thread.
    The General Intermediate Program Continued
    Thanks for the link, will check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    This thread is timely. I'm an mid/late stage intermediate and a bit older (just turned 46!). The auto-reg appeals to me, as the volume can be regulated, at least on the main lifts. I'll run it out and see how things go. Just did the first workout this morning - felt pretty good. Still getting the hang of some of the variations on main lifts (pause bench, rdls, etc), so there will be a period of dialing things in. We'll see how it goes.
    I'm curious how it'll turn out for you...

A friend of mine is 68 and has switched to the same program I'm using, but with slight tweaks. To give you a little background, he's been lifting for well over 10-years, hasn't been making progress on the main lifts and at one point we were literally talking about how he should feel happy he's not regressing at his age. After switching to high volume and lower intensity, he's been making amazing great progress. Obviously not as fast as me, due to the fact that he's older and has been training longer, however... he's been hitting PR's @8. So weight he couldn't even pull for a single previously, he's now easily pulling for an @8.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    This is very good progress, and while I'm not familiar with Jordan's programming I've heard it works well for many people. But I think you're kind of starting with a false premise here. The Standard Texas method is the de-facto post LP program for.....males age 18-29 who are good at eating and recovery. You were 34/35 when you started it no? If you asked Rip directly what program you should do he would not say Standard TM. Also seems like you could have been too aggressive with it. You don't grind RPE 10 max effort squats week to week. You switch to 3's, 2's, 1's/whatever before that happens. This whole programming thing is based on the bigger concept of how the body adapts to stress. If you understand that then you will find the differences between RPE and non-RPE based programs are small, not large. Again, not knocking Jordan's programs or your strength gainz. Great work.
    Ryan, yeah, I used to use similar arguments... you can search my post history . Unfortunately, fact is: TM is suboptimal and I'm convinced of it now. On intensity day you're going for a RM, which is by definition RPE 10 (even if it's RPE 9.5-9.75... same difference). The program is trying to force adaptation through intensity instead of volume. It's way low on volume.

I agree that RPE vs non-RPE doesn't matter.. you can program both, but that's not the point at all and that's not what makes this program better. In case I wasn't clear, the benefit of the program is that you can jack up frequency and volume thanks to the lowered intensity.

You can do that with any program.

BBB, I was wondering if you could explain what the idea behind this programming is. Has Jordan ever explained it? Take for example the bench.

TM looks like: Heavy bench volume day/light press day/heavy bench intensity day.

This looks like (to me): Medium bench volume/medium press volume/medium bench volume.

Is the point that volume is the most important variable to manipulate? I know Jordan's a smart guy and didn't pull this out of thin air, so I'm wondering what his reasons are.

Also, if you didn't want to mess with RPE stuff, could you just do: 5x5 bench/5x5 press/5x5 bench at medium intensity percentages of 1RM, trying to increase the weight each week, and recognizing that it's not a disaster if you need to sometimes use lower weights due to fatigue to hit the loading "sweet spot"?

Volume/frequency/intensity are the 3 important variables obviously that can be manipulated. Depending on the lifter in question you can change all of them, one of them or none of them.

Oh, and I guess I missed that there's also benching on the middle day, too, and I forgot the dumbbell pressing on the last workout. Please modify my question in the obvious way to account for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Volume/frequency/intensity are the 3 important variables obviously that can be manipulated. Depending on the lifter in question you can change all of them, one of them or none of them.
    Yes, but the claim here seems to be you get better results if you jack up volume instead of intensity. I'm wondering if Jordan (or anyone else) ever wrote about why that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge93 View Post
    Yes, but the claim here seems to be you get better results if you jack up volume instead of intensity. I'm wondering if Jordan (or anyone else) ever wrote about why that may be.
    How does vertically displacing barbells make you stronger?

Don't say say "stress" or "adaptation".

There is no absolute truth that a given lifter increases their results by just upping volume. Sometimes yes but other times it is intensity that must be changed. Blanket programs are a starting point but must be changed given real world results of a program.

Smaller lifters usually respond to high volume well while larger lifters respond to intensity rather than volume for instance.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    How does vertically displacing barbells make you stronger?

Don't say say "stress" or "adaptation".
    You get more better, and the food makes you more bigger.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast