starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Program, why TM sucks and Jordan's program review

Lightbulb The Best Program, why TM sucks and Jordan's program review

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been wanting to write this for months, but wanted to realize results vs just telling you how strong I'm feeling in training.

First, a little background. I started doing TM in Jan 2016, because that's the defacto intermediate program once you're past your LP, right? In Feb 2016 I had a meet and the results were: 375/237/386 (link). So that's the baseline. A year later, in Feb of 2017, I was still doing TM and did another meet. So after a year of TM, my results were: 435/259/463 (link). That's a gain of 60 lbs on squat, 22 lbs on bench and 77 lbs on DL (most of that gain was due to a switch to sumo). Somewhat respectable gains for an intermediate. I mean it's expected that gains don't come easy anymore, right?

It's also worth mentioning that at this point I was a pretty staunch supporter of TM in the various threads of this very forum. However, as I argued on and on, what some of the regulars were saying started sinking. The more I researched the more I started thinking: maybe I'm wrong?

So I found a program which looked good for my needs and made the switch. I chose to use Jordan Feigenbaum's Int/Adv. program which he created for Scivation. So after almost 1.5 years of grinding through TM.... I made the switch. I transitioned towards the end of May 2017. It is now end of Oct 2017 (5-months later) and I had a meet yesterday where my numbers were: 474/303/529 (link). That's a gain of 39 lbs on squat, 44 lbs on bench and 66 lbs on deadlift (also sumo).

So in less than half the time I was able to achieve similar or better gains! I'm sure this won't continue forever, but switching to the program and seeing the results after only a couple of months, made me realize how suboptimal TM and other similar program are.

Nothing I'm writing here will be news to most of the regulars who constantly argue these points, but I'm hoping my experience (and evidence) convinces others to choose more optimal programming.

Let me just compare the major differences between Jordan's program (what I see as Barbell Medicine style programming) vs. TM.

INTENSITY: Most of the work in Jordan's program falls into the RPE 8-9 range. Although RPE is a bit hard to wrap ones head around, it doesn't take as long as I used to think and is less complicated than I used to think (once you start using it). Programming with RPE is nice not just because of autoregulation (not unique to RPE), but also because the goal isn't a target number, it's a target stress level. The goal is to build strength, not test it. Grinding RPE 10 (max effort) week-to-week is actually less productive than I thought. I've made much faster gains staying in RPE 8-8.5 and knew every time I hit the gym that I'm hitting that lift no matter what.

PREPAREDNESS: Jordan's program starts out with x1 @ 8.5 squat on day one, x1 @ 8.5 bench on day two and x1 @ 8.5 DL on day 3. So week after week you're practicing the skill of doing a single. You're still handling very heavy weights, only pounds away from maximal, but you're not killing yourself doing maxes. Not only is it good practice, but it's also a good test! If your @ 8.5 went up 20 lbs, then guess what, so did your max. You don't need to test it to find out... leave that for the platform if you compete (or not if you don't). Testing takes time and energy away from training and getting stronger.

FREQUENCY: Jordan's program has a much higher bench frequency. I bench 3x/wk, OHP once and incline DB press once. Compare that to bench 2x/wk and "light" OHP 1x/wk. I didn't realize previously how much faster the upper body recovers (maintaining RPE 8-9). What used to kill my bench was volume. I still remember the first time I did 225x5. I was so excited, it was such a huge achievement. However, no matter what I did, I would crash and burn on volume day after that. I thought volume was the enemy... it was killing my progress, killing me! Speaking of volume...

VOLUME: Let's compare the programs...
    TM:
    Squat: 40 reps @ 86.75% avg intensity
    Bench: 30 reps @ 91.6% avg intensity
    Press: 15 reps @ 81% avg intensity
    Deadlift (w/o PC's): 5 reps @ 90% avg intensity (since we don't 'test' and don't do RPE we really don't know how much this is, so I think realistically the intensity ends up being much higher)

Jordan's program:
    Squat: 92 reps @ 75% avg intensity
    Bench: 79 reps @ 79.4% avg intensity
    Press: 100 reps @ 70% avg intensity
    Deadlift (w/o RDLs): 26 reps @ 79% intensity

So as you can see, the volume is through the roof, but the intensity is easily over 10% lower. Despite the lower intensity, within weeks, that low intensity volume superseded what I used to struggle with on TM at high intensity. Food for thought

VARIATION: Last but not least, the intensity numbers above don't tell the whole story. The average overall intensity is actually even lower on Jordan's program. This is because you do the competition lift once and everything else is a variation (at lower weights). For example, I can't front squat nearly what I can low-bar squat. So although the intensity is high for the lift, the overall stress on the body is relatively low. Similarly with paused. bench compared to tough-and-go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could obviously write a lot more... I have lots of opinions, but I've been wanting to write this as soon as I started seeing/feeling major progress in no time. Although I felt I was getting stronger, I really wanted to get some numbers and do a real test to see what it would translate to, since real numbers say more than how I feel.

I also want to thank the many members on this forum who've opened up my eyes and continue to fight the good fight. We're all on our own strength journeys and have different goals, constraints, etc. I'm sure I'll learn something new in the future and tweak even further, but for the time being, I just don't see a better program (besides obviously coaching and having a program custom tailored to you).

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope it helps you with your journey!

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to write this.

Glad you're progressing well

I agree. I was stubbornly on the Texas Method for much longer than I should have been. After looking at Jordan's program, all the volume scared me. However, I took a leap of faith and switched to Jordan's program. I have had very similar positive results. One thing I noticed, you look bigger in only 5 months on Jordan's program. Thanks for the write up.

Good info.

Did you find front squats in particular helped, or would a light back squat eg tempo squats be a good substitute ?

How did you plan to progress each week
    eg the squat, add 2.5kg to you 1@rpe8 and increase the volume sets by the same amount ?

Did you add any simple accessories eg chins ?
    Ditto any good ?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
    Awesome, thanks for taking the time to write this.
    Glad you liked!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Glad you're progressing well
    Thanks Izzy, you were one of the influencers... so thank you

Quote Originally Posted by salvilla View Post
    I agree. I was stubbornly on the Texas Method for much longer than I should have been. After looking at Jordan's program, all the volume scared me. However, I took a leap of faith and switched to Jordan's program. I have had very similar positive results. One thing I noticed, you look bigger in only 5 months on Jordan's program. Thanks for the write up.
    Thanks man, I don't see it, but my wife and friends tell me the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Overtrained View Post
    Good info.

Did you find front squats in particular helped, or would a light back squat eg tempo squats be a good substitute ?
    I popped my knee at one point doing front squats and did 5-0-3 tempo squats instead... I'm no expert, but did that to ensure I'm able to get some stimulus while still moving relatively low weights. It's just a way to fill out the weekly volume.

How did you plan to progress each week
    eg the squat, add 2.5kg to you 1@rpe8 and increase the volume sets by the same amount ?
    My goal was to start at a conservative x1 @ 8 for each lift and increase 2.5lbs each and every week. Given that weekly stress/ability fluctuates slightly, as long as I felt I was within the 8-9 range I kept increasing. If at any point I felt like I was nearing @9, I'd maintain the same weight for the second week. Well, that's the plan anyway. Obviously anything beyond that you need to consider stressors/overtraining/etc etc.

As far as volume, the goal is always to hit the max number of working reps. So if you do 4 sets and you feel set 5 & 6 would push your target RPE too high, then drop the weight. If you have to do a set or two less volume, then so be it. It's a bit more fluid, but the way I look at it is my goal is a certain volume and stress level (RPE). The weight on the bar doesn't matter and after doing it a couple of months you sort of have an idea of which inputs leads to which results.

Did you add any simple accessories eg chins ?
    Ditto any good ?
    I added chins to my routine, it's the only biceps work I get and a little upper back stimulus. It takes only a few extra minutes to do 3x10, so if I have time I do it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Cool
    Pffft. You probably didn't even read anything he wrote beyond "why TM sucks."

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Pffft. You probably didn't even read anything he wrote beyond "why TM sucks."
    I skipped to his bench PRs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post

I popped my knee at one point doing front squats and did 5-0-3 tempo squats instead... I'm no expert, but did that to ensure I'm able to get some stimulus while still moving relatively low weights. It's just a way to fill out the weekly volume.
    Good, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    My goal was to start at a conservative x1 @ 8 for each lift and increase 2.5lbs each and every week. Given that weekly stress/ability fluctuates slightly, as long as I felt I was within the 8-9 range I kept increasing. If at any point I felt like I was nearing @9, I'd maintain the same weight for the second week. Well, that's the plan anyway. Obviously anything beyond that you need to consider stressors/overtraining/etc etc.

As far as volume, the goal is always to hit the max number of working reps. So if you do 4 sets and you feel set 5 & 6 would push your target RPE too high, then drop the weight. If you have to do a set or two less volume, then so be it. It's a bit more fluid, but the way I look at it is my goal is a certain volume and stress level (RPE). The weight on the bar doesn't matter and after doing it a couple of months you sort of have an idea of which inputs leads to which results.

I added chins to my routine, it's the only biceps work I get and a little upper back stimulus. It takes only a few extra minutes to do 3x10, so if I have time I do it.
    Controlling volume when you are accustomed to pushing yourself to complete a planned number of sets no matter what, looks like it could be a challenge.

As you know, you need to eat a lot to keep training at rpe10 for sets / dls every week.
    Given you are working at a markedly lower intensity, did you find you could reach your individual workout goals while eating less food
    (aside from your current goal to move up a weight class) ?

Did you include any gpp on training or none training days ?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast