starting strength gym

Thread: Press: Missed Reps

Default Press: Missed Reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I am been struggling with my presses as the weight that I have been putting on the bar has increased.

For example, it took me 5 training sessions to get 65kg up 5 times for 3 sets. (1st session = 4, 4, 4. 2nd session =4,4,4. 3rd session =5,4,4. 4th session=5,5,4. and 5th session = 5,5,5)

I lack access to fractional weights below .5kg, so my smallest increase is 1kg.

Would it make sense to complete an additional set of the missed reps? For example, if I missed the 5th rep on set 1, 2, and 3, should I incorporate a 4th set of 3 reps?

Thanks.

40, 104kg BW
    Squat = 137.5kg, Press 65kg, DL 175kg, Bench 90kg, PC 77.5kg

Well, as long as you are going in the right direction and adding reps, then it's not a huge concern. I'd order some fractionals online since they're so cheap yet extremely valuable for Press training. Often when I have a trainee stuck like this, I'll add a back off set or two, usually of 5-rep sets, even on the novice program. This is especially true when training someone only twice per week when Press/Bench only gets hit 1x/week.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Well, as long as you are going in the right direction and adding reps, then it's not a huge concern. I'd order some fractionals online since they're so cheap yet extremely valuable for Press training. Often when I have a trainee stuck like this, I'll add a back off set or two, usually of 5-rep sets, even on the novice program. This is especially true when training someone only twice per week when Press/Bench only gets hit 1x/week.
    Would you recommend moving to a 5x5 or adding an additional pressing day once you begin stall?

The added pressing day is probably more helpful. Presses really like frequency

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    The added pressing day is probably more helpful. Presses really like frequency
    Does this mean going in on Saturday and doing 3x5 LP style or adding light pressing on another day?

starting strength coach development program
    If you can LP the Press 2x/week then that is obviously a better option as it results in faster progress. However, if you are pressing/benching 4x/week, it may be necessary that one of those days at least be a light/medium day just to help raise overall training volume. So maybe 3-5 x 5 @ ~5-10% reduction from your heavy 3x5 day.