starting strength gym

Thread: Programming issue or calories?

Default Programming issue or calories?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

It looks like I've reached my novice limits (at my current weight) on all my lifts, but after switching to HLM, I'm not progressing.

Numbers:
    Age/Ht/Wt: 27, 5'7, 175
    Squat: 270x5x3
    DL: 300x5x1
    Press: 150x3x3
    Bench: 210x3x3
    PC: 150x3x5

When I switched to HLM, I deloaded a little. Maybe 10-15 pounds each lift. But each week I could tell the extra rest didn't seem to be helping. The lifts were just as grinding, form was just as not the best (due to the heaviness), and I could feel I was approaching the exact same plateaus as on the novice programming.

The deadlift is puzzling me in particular. I was recovering fine to use phase 2 novice all the way to 290. I only switched to phase 3 at that point because I felt the plateau coming and thought maybe I could cut it off. But it didn't help. 295 9 days later didn't feel any different than if it was 4 days later. Same with 300. 305 I finally missed reps.

After reading the boards, SS articles, BBT and PP3, I'm not sure what the issue is. Am I just really fatigued? Have I hit a strength limit without increasing calories (~4000 a day)?

3 Questions Answers: Squat & DL have been 5 lb jumps, presses were microloaded jumps; at least 5 minutes rest between sets, usually at least 7; exact same calories and sleep as during novice program

Thanks Andy, much appreciated.

Is it possible that you aren't doing enough work to stimulate progress? You may not be overtrained, you may be undertrained if you reduced load/frequency/volume too much for too long.

I hadn't considered it since 1. My deadlift plateaued while sticking with 1x5 the whole time, and 2. My squat plateau is clearly 270/275 regardless if I was getting there doing novice heavy-light-heavy MWF, or doing heavy-80%-90% for HLM. I also tried heavy-70%-90% HLM.

Similarly my press is at a sticking point regardless if I'm pressing heavy every other day on the notice program, or once a week on intermediate.

Also I don't know if it's useful info or not, buy while on the intermediate program I have been experiencing slight DOMS after the heavy Monday. I never experienced DOMS on the novice program.

I think you need to be doing more work to get them moving. I'd start with a 4-day split and Press and Bench 2x/week and Squat/Pull 2x/week

I can definitely try adding more volume for the squat and presses, but how do I add extra work with pulls? On HLM I already had been doing deadlift 1x5 and power cleans 5x3 each week. Would the extra work take the form of 1 or 2 back-off sets after the 1x5 pull? Doing 8x3 on power clean day? Or would I do power cleans on the third day of the week as well so I end up pulling all 3 days during the week?

Thanks Andy.

The 1x5 DL probably isn't sufficient pulling volume for you right now. And my guess is that the Power Cleans aren't heavy enough to be considered a stimulus for driving your Deadlift.

For your second day of pulling I'd be doing something heavier than cleans, my favorite being a Stiff Leg Deadlift. Start with about 3 sets of those in the 5-8 rep range. On top of that, try adding in 1-2 back off sets on the Deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Andy, I'll play around with all of your suggestions in this thread and report back if there's still issues. Thanks again!