starting strength gym

Thread: Bench and Press Disparity

Default Bench and Press Disparity

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach Baker,

A preamble to thank you for all you have managed to teach me - through various means - about intermediate programming and other topics. Although I am a novice, I have found your content to be helpful, and I can't wait for the opportunity to apply it.

Stats
    Sex: Male
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 220 pounds
    Program: SSNLP (4.5 months roughly, over 3 of which was with Niki Sims)
    Lifts: Squat 360x5x3; Press 152.5x5x3; Bench 192.5x5, 182.5x5x3 back-offs; deadlift just got on a progression after a long time working out back extension issues

I reset the bench after failing at 187.5 for three sessions; however, when I worked my way back up to that point, I noticed that it wasn't much easier, if any easier. Niki then introduced the back-off sets. I understand the theory behind this, but I still cannot reconcile the discrepancy in my press and bench press. I feel that it is strange that I have had to introduce a programming modification to the bench while my press is still increasing steadily at 2.5 pounds per workout. I'm not particularly bothered by this, but I would appreciate your opinion on why this might be. Was my assumption that the pressing movements should respond similarly to training entirely incorrect? I do plan to chat Niki's ear off about this (since I do intend to become more involved with Starting Strength) but additional opinions are always worth seeking out.

Warm Regards,
    Dalton

Don't worry about having a discrepancy, just worry about why your Bench is stuck. You probably need to be benching at least 2x/week every week. You are probably also closing in on the end of your Novice LP at close to 5 months so you may consider programming your Press/Bench at intermediate. I'd try a 4-day split to start with and Press/Bench each 2x/week on Mon/Thurs

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I have been worried about my bench for quite some time. I believe that the current plan is to run out the advance novice phases (back-offs, triples, etc) before launching into a 4 day TM style programming - likely pressing and benching twice per week each. Once again, thank you for everything.