starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sacrificing squat volume and frequency for 3x5 deadlifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just to answer number 2, the way I did it was similar to the progression you see with the squat. When 3 sets of 5 doesn't work for the deadlift, I jumped to one top set with with 2 drop sets. I agree that 1 set of 5 may be enough for some people. I did it more for practice through repetitions. With this scenario you are only doing 1 set of deadlifts per week. That may not be enough practice for newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    1. His proposed scenario where he thinks more DL & less squat will result in a faster than 10LB increase per DL session because of 3x5 DL.
    I actually never claimed this and explicitly said that I have no doubts 1x5 deadlifts are optimal for the average novice and I was only doing 3x5 for liking the movement and for getting practice. Regardless, I'm now switching to what Les Hahn laid out, but likely doing 2 of the deadlift sets as 80-90% back offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    Just to answer number 2, the way I did it was similar to the progression you see with the squat. When 3 sets of 5 doesn't work for the deadlift, I jumped to one top set with with 2 drop sets. I agree that 1 set of 5 may be enough for some people. I did it more for practice through repetitions. With this scenario you are only doing 1 set of deadlifts per week. That may not be enough practice for newbies.
    Makes sense. At the beginning I did wish I had more practise. Thanks for explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Makes sense. At the beginning I did wish I had more practise. Thanks for explaining it.
    Sure, not a problem. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cargotruck View Post
    I actually never claimed this and explicitly said that I have no doubts 1x5 deadlifts are optimal for the average novice and I was only doing 3x5 for liking the movement and for getting practice. Regardless, I'm now switching to what Les Hahn laid out, but likely doing 2 of the deadlift sets as 80-90% back offs.
    I guess I thought you were doing it to try and maximize deadlift gains. I didn't realize it was simply because you liked doing the movement. In that case, as long as it fits your goals. His layout will definitely work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cargotruck View Post
    And cargo, depending on where you are at with your deadlifts, I would still start with 3 sets of 5. When you can no longer get 5 reps on all your sets, then go to the top set/drop set option.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    And cargo, depending on where you are at with your deadlifts, I would still start with 3 sets of 5. When you can no longer get 5 reps on all your sets, then go to the top set/drop set option.
    I was thinking of drop sets so that the first set could be closer to 5RM, for instance 5x275lb, 5x245lb, 5x245lb instead of 3x265lb. Would you still recommend the 3 sets across option?

*3x5x265lb is what I meant with the latter

Yes, you can stick with 3 sets at first. So one top set that is more challenging, and then some easier drop sets. Eventually I have people add another drop set (so one top set and three drop sets), but you won't need that right now.

starting strength coach development program
    Alright, thanks for the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12