starting strength gym

Thread: Strength and Mass after 40 questions.

Default Strength and Mass after 40 questions.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

I purchased your Strength and Mass after 40 some time ago and just getting around to implementing it. I have a couple of questions.

1. I do Prowler walks. Would you recommend them the same day after Heavy Squat/Back and Biceps day and Light Squat/Heavy Dead lift Day or the day after on Wednesday and Saturday?

2. Do you see any issues with doing the Chins between Squats on Tuesday to save time? (I usually rest 5-8 minutes between squat sets?

3. I plan on doing Heavy Press/Light Bench on Monday and Heavy Bench/Light Press on Thursday. Do you suggest warming up for the 2nd lift (light bench/light press) as normal?

Thanks for your time.
    Have a blessed day.

1. Either. Doesn't matter that much.
    2. It's fine, especially if the loads are not completely limit sets.
    3. For the Light Press you won't need as much warm up when it follows Bench. You still need some decent warm up for the Bench even when second to get some blood into the pecs, but maybe not quite as much warm up as when you start them completely cold.

Andy,
    I just bought this program over the weekend after emailing you about it. I'm setting it up for myself and have a few quick questions.

1. I've never done the Stiff leg DL so I don't know how to target the weight for it at the beginning. Is there some percentage of the conventional DL I could use as a starting weight or do I just experiment?

2. I have the same issue with shrugs. I've never used them in my programming before. Any suggestion how to target this weight?

3. I've seen a rep cycle of 8/5/3 (I think that's the numbers) discussed here on the forums. Is that a rep cycle from another program or would there be an advantage to having a week of 3 X 8 on the main lifts at a reduced weigh? I can see where that might be good for hypertrophy but maybe that's what the assistance exercises are for.

Thanks.

1. Start with about 60% of your DL 1RM, but that is just a rough guideline. Make sure your form is rock solid on SLDLs otherwise there is no point in doing them.
    2. Not for these types of shrugs. Put some weight on the bar, shrug it a bunch of times, get a pump in the traps, repeat. These aren't heavy "power shrugs" from the rack like in SSBT.
    3. I do a lot of 8/5/2 programming. You can use that rep-scheme with this program as well.

Thanks for the input Andy. I'll give it a go and adjust as needed. I'll just start with the program as it is written and then maybe try the higher rep scheme after a few cycles. The program looks like it will break up some of the monotony of what I've been doing for the last several months.

My goodness, I've got me some sore triceps. The higher volume accessory lifts are going to take a little getting used to.
    A quick question though. Are the barbell rows on day two of the bent over variety? I know there is an upright row but I think they are not well regarded in SS.

Thanks.

Bent over Barbell Rows.

Andy I just purchased your over 40 workout plan, I noticed on the first day heavy presses and light bench while reading the paper work the only bench for the first day was a close-grip bench press is this considered a light bench? Or can I add in a regular flat barbell bench press?

starting strength coach development program
    I often make the "light bench day" a close grip bench. About the same level of overall systemic stress, but the close grip has a little more value to it then simply just "going light" in my opinion. Could also pause the light day benches or focus on speed or some combination of any of those.