starting strength gym

Thread: Fat Loss / GGW round #2

Default Fat Loss / GGW round #2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I'm currently on Week #11 of my first go-around on GGW. I've really enjoyed the 'back to basics' approach of the program and would like to incorporate some of the tips for fat loss suggested in your video on a second run through the program.

My thoughts were as follows:

--change to bench-centric programming on round #2
    --on Mon do H-SQ/H-BP and no pull
    --on Wed do Pause-SQ/OP/Barbell Rows
    --on Fri do M-SQ/CGB/H-DL (I'm thinking a heavy top set + 2 back-off @ 90-95% to add a bit of pulling volume?)

1) Would you tweak (add or substitute a variant) anything to above?
    2) Would you keep the percentages for the lifts as originally programmed? (I wasn't going to mess with those)

My stats: Male, 52yo, 252lbs @ about 30% body fat (via calipers)....looking to get to 20% by February 2018.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Going from 30% to 20% bodyfat you shouldn't lose too much strength as you shed the fat, especially if you are having that timed cheat the day prior to your heavy day. I wouldn't change much.

If you get halfway through the program and start to stall a bit as your weight is coming down then you can simply recalibrate all your target worksets a bit to ensure you aren't missing all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Going from 30% to 20% bodyfat you shouldn't lose too much strength as you shed the fat, especially if you are having that timed cheat the day prior to your heavy day. I wouldn't change much.

If you get halfway through the program and start to stall a bit as your weight is coming down then you can simply recalibrate all your target worksets a bit to ensure you aren't missing all over the place.
    Errr...could you clarify 'recalibrate'? Do you mean lower the percentages a bit or the sets & reps? (Sorry for being a bit dense)

Yeah, you don't even have to get caught up in the %'s. Since you already have your weights x sets x reps basically pre-planned out for the entire cycle, then you could just do an across the board weight reduction of say 5-20 lbs on each day (only on the lifts that are sticking) to ensure you are completing your sets x reps at each session.