starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Annual Programming (Part 1): New Article

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Let me be clear.....I didn't write these articles as a recommendation to anyone. This is more of an "ideas" article. Something you might want to think about if it fits your situation.

I use this type of programming with the general public that I train here at the gym. So these would be non-competitive/early intermediates.

This wouldn't be an advanced program because by definition we have determined that advanced lifters will be training according to a competitive cycle based on events. The rest of the calendar will become secondary to the competition schedule and that is what will dictate training phases.

However, there is no reason a competitive lifter couldn't take this concept and apply it to his calendar. In other words, plan two meets per year, once in the late fall, once in the late spring, and organize phases around those dates.

Got it. Thanks again for the clarification. I was going on the assumption that year-long programming was reserved for more advanced lifters, because early intermediates could still make steady gains while advanced lifters needed more complexity and time to increase their PR. But I definitely see where this type of programming would still lead to those steady early-intermediate gains while keeping it fun and exciting.

You are basically still aiming for weekly progress even if you are altering the programming a bit month to month in a somewhat arbitrary manner. That being said, if you are truly rocking and rollin' with your programming and make some serious steady weekly gains I wouldn't alter things unless you felt you needed to.

As always, great articles, and great timing. I've been over-analyzing my programming recently in anticipation of my annual strongman comp, which is always the first weekend in June.

Also just wanted to thank you for all your YouTube videos. Excellent material.

Read both sections of the article. Question: You suggest not to test maxes going from HLM to the a Texas Method template. Both your programs I like GGW and KSC TM work off percentages. How would one transition from GGW to KSC TM without retesting 1RM assuming it's going up at the end of GGW? What about taking a deload week after testing maxes of GGW before doing KSC TM to let fatigue dicepate? I quite enjoy testing 1 RM after cycling through GGW.

Andy, can you use your KSC Power lifting Routine for both peaking cycle rather than Texas method? What would be difference?

Apologies for a real dumb question but I want to be crystal clear. Sets x reps?

Thank you for sharing the articles, Andy. Early in my intermediate training, about 18 months ago, I tried TM but within about 4-5 weeks became overtrained and had to stop. I may have been too aggressive as I was following the standard TM as described in PPST3. I'm 43, would a short 8-9 week run of the KSC style of Texas Method be appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    Read both sections of the article. Question: You suggest not to test maxes going from HLM to the a Texas Method template. Both your programs I like GGW and KSC TM work off percentages. How would one transition from GGW to KSC TM without retesting 1RM assuming it's going up at the end of GGW? What about taking a deload week after testing maxes of GGW before doing KSC TM to let fatigue dicepate? I quite enjoy testing 1 RM after cycling through GGW.
    If it's me and I'm training a client this way, I don't do a 1RM test right before TM. I'm just going to set up the program and insert some numbers that make sense. You should be able to easily figure out your volume day numbers after doing many weeks of high volume HLM programming. I'd assume something that is a smooth but challening 5x5 is around 80% of 1RM. Go about 10% up from that to hit your triples with.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by slydeflex View Post
    Andy, can you use your KSC Power lifting Routine for both peaking cycle rather than Texas method? What would be difference?
    Yes you can. Personal preference. I'm just trying to use examples of programs that everyone is familiar with. Other programs can work too

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast