starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Annual Programming (Part 1): New Article

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by billydw1 View Post
    Thank you for sharing the articles, Andy. Early in my intermediate training, about 18 months ago, I tried TM but within about 4-5 weeks became overtrained and had to stop. I may have been too aggressive as I was following the standard TM as described in PPST3. I'm 43, would a short 8-9 week run of the KSC style of Texas Method be appropriate?
    Short runs work well. Part is physical reality. Part is having a "light at the end of the tunnel." That concept makes any program better most of the time, rather than just "I'll do this until I burn out." I get better results from novices at the gym when I tell them we are doing a Novice LP for 12 weeks rather than "we are doing a Novice LP until you can't do it anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by Coalminecanary View Post
    Apologies for a real dumb question but I want to be crystal clear. Sets x reps?
    Example?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Example?
    Sorry, I was asking if you write programs in reps x sets or sets x reps (eg 315 4x5 equals 315 lbs for 4 sets of 5, or 5 sets of 4) as that wasn’t explicitly stated (that I saw) in the programs, but I figured it out using my brain and better use of the search function.

Sorry to waste your time, and many thanks for sharing the yearly programming. Added thanks for the comment on TM above, running it for a set period seems more palatable than running it until failure.

Example?
    I think he wants to be sure something like “Heavy Squats 4x6” means 4 sets of 6. I wasn’t too sure either until I saw the numbers go from 4x6 to 5x5 to 6x4, when it would only make sense to be moving to higher weight and lower reps.

If it's me and I'm training a client this way, I don't do a 1RM test right before TM. I'm just going to set up the program and insert some numbers that make sense. You should be able to easily figure out your volume day numbers after doing many weeks of high volume HLM programming. I'd assume something that is a smooth but challening 5x5 is around 80% of 1RM. Go about 10% up from that to hit your triples with.
    Got it thanks. What about doing some conservative AMRAP during the heavy singles/doubles week in GGW to feel out new maxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Coalminecanary View Post
    Sorry, I was asking if you write programs in reps x sets or sets x reps (eg 315 4x5 equals 315 lbs for 4 sets of 5, or 5 sets of 4) as that wasn’t explicitly stated (that I saw) in the programs, but I figured it out using my brain and better use of the search function.

Sorry to waste your time, and many thanks for sharing the yearly programming. Added thanks for the comment on TM above, running it for a set period seems more palatable than running it until failure.
    I usually write it as I say it, although I am guilty of mixing and matching my annotations. So I usually say "4 sets of 6" so that is how I will write it. Or "4 sets of 6 at 315" will be "4x6x315."

However, Rip told me that was I was WRONG!!!!! (as well as a number of other things such as Light Beer and Folgers Coffee). Soooo....sometimes I write it as 315x6x4. Or 315 for 6 reps for 4 sets.

Also, just so you guys know, these kinds of conversations make me (1) want to kill myself (2) quit the barbell business and start selling insurance.

If you feel it helps you get a more accurate feel for starting off right with TM then that would be fine

I usually write it as I say it, although I am guilty of mixing and matching my annotations. So I usually say "4 sets of 6" so that is how I will write it. Or "4 sets of 6 at 315" will be "4x6x315."

However, Rip told me that was I was WRONG!!!!! (as well as a number of other things such as Light Beer and Folgers Coffee). Soooo....sometimes I write it as 315x6x4. Or 315 for 6 reps for 4 sets.

Also, just so you guys know, these kinds of conversations make me (1) want to kill myself (2) quit the barbell business and start selling insurance.
    Would it surprise you that I’m a lawyer who works for an insurance company?

Don’t quit. You are doing valuable work, unlike some of us (read: me).

Ha, that is funny. No offense meant!

Don't worry, I'm not gonna quit. Once you've been self-employed long enough you look up after a while and say "Well, I guess this is what I'm doing." There comes a time where I think you are probably no longer employable.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks a ton Andy!

I am shortly moving into early intermediate style programming and have my next year of training laid out around the concepts presented in your article series. Looking forward to some decent strength appreciation...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast