starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method Clarification - Deadlifts on Volume Day?

Default Texas Method Clarification - Deadlifts on Volume Day?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently read the section on the Texas Method in Practical Programming and setup my first workout in light of the way it describes the Texas Method. Volume Day is Squat, Bench, and then Power Cleans. The variations for Powerlifters given in the book are either DE Deadlifts or Still Legged Deadlifts but not conventional deadlifts.

I then read the article written by Rippetoe (it seems at least) on T-Nation (The Texas Method | T Nation). This article actually has Deadlifts on volume day as well as intensity day. I'm confused. I thought PP did not suggest deadlifts on volume day simply because of the time needed to recover, anticipating the new 5RM on deads on intensity day?

Have you since tweaked your understanding of the methodology for Texas Method and now suggest Deadlifts as a volume day lift?

Thank you,
    Tommy +

People do it both ways. I definitely favor the DL on the intensity day.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    People do it both ways. I definitely favor the DL on the intensity day.
    So I guess what I hear you saying is that you favor not doing the deads on volume day and only on intensity day?

I typically prescribe Deads on the Intensity Day and the volume work for the deadlift generally comes in the form of back off sets. If for no other reason it just saves time. Volume Squat / Volume Bench on the same day is time consuming enough and a massive drain on energy. Intensity Squat/Bench is far less time consuming and in my opinion less draining on energy levels and leaves more time/energy for Deadlifts during that session. I also feel that for most early intermediate lifters a very hefty dose of squat volume on Monday is a sufficient volume stimulus for the deadlift. I think as a lifter progresses to late intermediate / advanced there is usually a need for a little more Deadlift volume somewhere in the program.

According to the article,DL are done at 90% 5 RM?