starting strength gym

Thread: GGW and shoulder hypertrophy work?

Default GGW and shoulder hypertrophy work?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have purchased both the S&M40+ and GGW. I ran S&M for about 3 cycles before switching to GGW and find that 3 lift days per week fits better into my schedule. I used 1's from S&M to set up GGW so I suspect those numbers were conservative. I'm testing DL and PR this week so I'll have hard numbers for the next round.

Basic stats:
    170lbs, 43 yo, ~18% BF

For the second round of GGW, I was planning to switch BP and PR days plus I want to add in some shoulder hypertrophy work in addition to basic arm accessory work.

I was looking at lateral raises or dumbell shoulder presses - which would be better for hypertrophy while not creating too much stress on the shoulders? I assume the best day for this would be following BP on Friday?

Also, for the Medium bench day, I was planning to use CGB. Should I use the same percentages as I would if I were doing standard bench press?

Here is the program I thinking:

M: HSQ, MDL, CGB (MBP %'s), Weighted chins (4x5-8)
    W: LSQ, Rows, PR, BB Curls (4x8-12)
    F: MSQ, HDL, BP, Lateral Raises (3x15-20) OR Dumbell Shoulder Press (3x10-15), and Sitting French Press (3x10-15)

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    --Billy

You could also just throw in 2-3 sets of 8-12 rep Presses as back off work after your main Press sets. For the side delt raises, I'd do those immediately following your Press work. 50-100 total reps (5-8 x 10-15) in strict form with very short rest intervals. Should only take a few minutes to knock those out.

Thanks Andy, I like the simplicity of back off sets. Would you recommend doing both back off sets and lateral raises or just one or the other?

BTW, tested my 1RM: DL jumped from 355 to 370 and PR from 150 to 155. I was skeptical of the added DL volume in GGW but my body adapted as you suggested and it worked. Great program!

Thanks,
    --Billy

Start with just the back offs for several weeks and then add in the lateral raises if you feel you want a little additional work