starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about weight jumps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    Sounds like a plan, thanks.

Last offseason it seemed like his upper limit was limited by not being able to gain much muscle due to not being in full blown puberty yet.. this offseason facial hair and deeper voice seems like he is in it... now to just find some coaching for those pesky power cleans when it gets to that point LOL. .
    Usually boys have a problem gaining weight (outside of their bones) on growth spurts, but at 275 lbs, your son shouldn't have a problem blowing through that bench number. If he's topping out at 135x5 I'd strongly suggest getting a SS coach (online if you have to).

My 15 year old cousin plays football and ended his first growth spurt at 6' 1" and 175 lbs. During that growth spurt he ended with a 300 lb sumo deadlift (couldn't get in position for proper pulls) and 165 lb bench. And that wasn't on SS or with a professional coach. He's also kind of a motor moron.

As for your coach focusing on bench, that's standard for uninformed football coaches. As Rip goes over in SS, the Press and Squat are far more important for the types of positions you get into on the field. Especially as a lineman.

I'm actually kind of wondering about the body composition of a 15 year old who weighs 275 yet can't bench 160.

My experience coaching middle school/JV/Freshman football is that the big lineman between 12-15 years old are almost always A) narrow shouldered and B) lagging behind on coordination compared to their peers off the line.

it's not a bad thing per se; but they quite literally haven't grown into their bodies yet. They will get there eventually. Don't rush it. Don't be surprised if any lift takes off (DL at that height and weight) or lags far behind. As long as the kid is gradually adding weight to the bar, performing the lifts correctly, and eating he'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Goldstein View Post
    My experience coaching middle school/JV/Freshman football is that the big lineman between 12-15 years old are almost always A) narrow shouldered and B) lagging behind on coordination compared to their peers off the line.

it's not a bad thing per se; but they quite literally haven't grown into their bodies yet. They will get there eventually. Don't rush it. Don't be surprised if any lift takes off (DL at that height and weight) or lags far behind. As long as the kid is gradually adding weight to the bar, performing the lifts correctly, and eating he'll get there.

Hes definately narrow shouldered.. he is all legs and ass

when we got measured for suit coats, mine is actually bigger than his. I was a 52L and he was like a 48L

I was not as tall as him as a freshman but I was always a shitty bencher too.

Quick question for you Brian, since you coached. They had the freshman season end wrap up meeting yesterday. They said if he hits the weights (which we are doing) and gets lighter on his feet, no clue? He could start varsity next season because 2 OT's are graduating... is an agility ladder the way to go? I can pick one up for like 20 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    I'm actually kind of wondering about the body composition of a 15 year old who weighs 275 yet can't bench 160.

There were kids who weighed over 200 and could barely bench 95. He had the highest bench of Freshman

I doubt an agility ladder and associated drills would hurt, but I also doubt that they would help. I think he’d be much better served eating, sleeping and getting stronger. Remember that part of the reason we lift barbells is because you can fall over. The fact that you don’t while the weight gets heavier means the body is learning how solve movement problems, i.e. becoming more coordinated.

In the context of o line, the best non practice thing he can do is film study. There’s so much to playing any of the o line positions that simply knowing assignments, rules, and basic techniques is it’s own field of study - and no matter the level of FB he ends up playing, knowing how to play is the difference between simply being on the team and playing.

If he’s interested see if he’d be up for shot/discus/throws for track. It’s another great general physical development stimuli for o line.

Most importantly; he’s still a child. Let him be a kid and grow up. If being a great football player is in him, you’re giving him the tools for success. But more likely that’s not what his life’s work will be. Don’t be “that Dad.” I don’t think you are, but no coach ever, ever wants to deal with the parent who thinks they are raising the next [insert hall of fame player].

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Goldstein View Post
    I doubt an agility ladder and associated drills would hurt, but I also doubt that they would help. I think he’d be much better served eating, sleeping and getting stronger. Remember that part of the reason we lift barbells is because you can fall over. The fact that you don’t while the weight gets heavier means the body is learning how solve movement problems, i.e. becoming more coordinated.

In the context of o line, the best non practice thing he can do is film study. There’s so much to playing any of the o line positions that simply knowing assignments, rules, and basic techniques is it’s own field of study - and no matter the level of FB he ends up playing, knowing how to play is the difference between simply being on the team and playing.

If he’s interested see if he’d be up for shot/discus/throws for track. It’s another great general physical development stimuli for o line.

Most importantly; he’s still a child. Let him be a kid and grow up. If being a great football player is in him, you’re giving him the tools for success. But more likely that’s not what his life’s work will be. Don’t be “that Dad.” I don’t think you are, but no coach ever, ever wants to deal with the parent who thinks they are raising the next [insert hall of fame player].
    Nah.. not that guy.. he was excited, and wants to start varsity, and asked me how to get lighter on his feet. I do SS because I have type 2 diabetes and it helps immensely keeping my numbers in check.

Reading Rip's stuff, he seems like he is of the belief that getting stronger/better body composition solves a lot of agility/speed issues... I may have him jump a little rope in his spare time, but this winter just concentrate on the lifting. He plays CYO basketball and was looking at either spring track or LAX when spring comes.

It's almost never linemen's parents who are the issue, fwiw. (lone exception was a DE/athletic freak and his no nonsense single mother).

Thinking it through, this would be my suggestion:

Winter (nov-dec-jan) - LP and CYO basketball. I'm assuming the basketball is recreational and not demanding.
    Spring (feb-mar-april) - Track throws (preferable over LAX - why? because of all the damned running in LAX!). Either sport, LP can morph into something like in this article - The Novice Program for High School Athletes
    Summer - May - Just LP. June - Continue to LP, but attend a positional camp. July - condition for training camp. Unfortunately, football training camps - two a days, conditioning tests, etc. are not designed to make players better. They are designed to be a crash course in team formation. In July, he'll need to make sure that if he has a stupid ass conditioning test he prepares for it, no matter how dumb. Otherwise, positional starts, short (10-30yd) hill sprints (in cleats), and up-downs will be the most valuable conditioning he can do.

The additional jump rope is not necessary. Here's why. Basically, it's not that it isn't a good exercise, it is. It is not a necessary one because most coaches lack a useful way to describe what they actually want.

In coach speak "Lighter on their feet" for line really means "Be in the right position, at the right time, and able to apply force and leverage with violence."

It's not about foot speed, per se. It's about not wasting steps, not losing technique, and not blowing assignments. Seriously - if he knows what he is supposed to do, it will look like he got faster feet. He would be much much better off, IMHO, going to a positional camp and learning the game along with the concurrent increases in his strength. If your son knows exactly what to do for every protection and his assignments on inside zone, power and counter (the three most common run plays that nearly everyone runs), I can almost guarantee you'll hear about how he's so much faster than last year. If you've got a scheme specific question or question on how to watch film, ping me direct.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks again. The CYO basketball is not a huge comittment.. just a way to get him to run around a few hours a week and keep his weight a little bit in check.

This looks like a good blueprint, thank you for your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast