starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about weight jumps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    No problem at all.

Obligatory disclaimer that the other sports will impede progress on LP to some extent.

Understood.

I only thought of the jumping rope, because a Catholic HS that was recruiting him did that, when he went there for shadow day. The linemen were all jumping rope as part of their training. No idea if that guy knew what he was doing or not, though.

As I am here thumbing through my copy of SS we have some slight form issues to clear up, and I think we should be able to get those poverty lifts up in short order. Today session we are going to take our time, watch the Art of Manliness videos, and double check that everything is on point.

Nothing wrong with jumping rope. It won't hurt in small doses. Is it necessary or actually beneficial? probably not.

You won't go wrong improving form and if you can see an SSC, do so. No one's technique is above a qualified assist.

I gotta find someone around here (south jersey/philly area)

Ironic part is, the boy wants to be a history teacher, football coach and SS coach when he gets out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    I gotta find someone around here (south jersey/philly area)

Ironic part is, the boy wants to be a history teacher, football coach and SS coach when he gets out of college.
    Just checked the directory. I'm still the only SSC listed in NJ, and I'm up North, in the Morristown (Morris County) area. Have you looked into/considered Starting Strength Online Coaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Just checked the directory. I'm still the only SSC listed in NJ, and I'm up North, in the Morristown (Morris County) area. Have you looked into/considered Starting Strength Online Coaching?

I haven't. Looks like you are about 90 miles from here. How does that online coaching work. I'd be mostly interested in it for the boy.

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    I haven't. Looks like you are about 90 miles from here. How does that online coaching work. I'd be mostly interested in it for the boy.
    PM Sent. For anybody else who's curious, the "Coaching" link at the top of the page offers you options to visit both the SSC Directory as well as the link to the Starting Strength Online Coaching website.

Thanks, I will look into that.

We had a good workout last night. I think we were both guilty of not treating warm up lifts as "serious" lifts.

Got his bench looking pretty good, "pull the bar down" worked as a good cue for him to keep the right elbow to body angle once I went back and re read the book and fixed a small issue with his setup.

Having a bitch of a time getting the wrists straight on squat. Continuing to do the stretches in the SS online video. I don't know if it's shoulder mobility or the fact that he does have long arms, his shirtsleeve is 2 inches longer than mine, but I am an inch or so taller.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Goldstein View Post
    It's almost never linemen's parents who are the issue, fwiw. (lone exception was a DE/athletic freak and his no nonsense single mother).

Thinking it through, this would be my suggestion:

Winter (nov-dec-jan) - LP and CYO basketball. I'm assuming the basketball is recreational and not demanding.
    Spring (feb-mar-april) - Track throws (preferable over LAX - why? because of all the damned running in LAX!). Either sport, LP can morph into something like in this article - The Novice Program for High School Athletes
    Summer - May - Just LP. June - Continue to LP, but attend a positional camp. July - condition for training camp. Unfortunately, football training camps - two a days, conditioning tests, etc. are not designed to make players better. They are designed to be a crash course in team formation. In July, he'll need to make sure that if he has a stupid ass conditioning test he prepares for it, no matter how dumb. Otherwise, positional starts, short (10-30yd) hill sprints (in cleats), and up-downs will be the most valuable conditioning he can do.

The additional jump rope is not necessary. Here's why. Basically, it's not that it isn't a good exercise, it is. It is not a necessary one because most coaches lack a useful way to describe what they actually want.

In coach speak "Lighter on their feet" for line really means "Be in the right position, at the right time, and able to apply force and leverage with violence."

It's not about foot speed, per se. It's about not wasting steps, not losing technique, and not blowing assignments. Seriously - if he knows what he is supposed to do, it will look like he got faster feet. He would be much much better off, IMHO, going to a positional camp and learning the game along with the concurrent increases in his strength. If your son knows exactly what to do for every protection and his assignments on inside zone, power and counter (the three most common run plays that nearly everyone runs), I can almost guarantee you'll hear about how he's so much faster than last year. If you've got a scheme specific question or question on how to watch film, ping me direct.
    Sorry to bump old thread. But he got on board with track and field. I told him he had to play a spring sport.. pick 1. They have a 64 foot shot putter, so someone there may actually know what they are doing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast