starting strength gym

Thread: need some direction

Default need some direction

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy, I am 47 y.o. active construction worker. getting back under the bar after 6 years of not lifting. I previously did SS off and on for years to supplement a competition based martial arts program. I was able to make some solid gains, even at 41 and training 6 days a week between everything. I was at the intermediate level when I stopped (divorce).
    I have started SS again. I am a month in and feel like I have completely overtrained my lower body already. I started with modest weight and everything was going as per the program. The last 4 workouts I have been getting consistently weaker in the squat and DL. I eat like a horse and have gained 4 lbs of bodyweight, my upper body lifts are on track with zero missed reps.
    the past few workouts my squat has gone from 220x5x3 down to I could barely manage 205x3x3 today, I used 205 thinking it would be easy to get 5 reps... no way, it was miserable.
    Deadlift was 270x5x1, now I can't break 255 off the floor and can only manage 235x4x1... meanwhile upper body is cruising along 5x3 adding 5 lbs to bench and 3 lbs to press. .
    I am open to suggestions on any of your programs or the online club. I lift at home, and only have a rack and a barbell so far, with more to come as funds permit.
    Thank you very much, Chris

You might see if you do a little better on a HLM program for your squats and pulls. You can keep upper body on LP. Garage Gym Warrior is the HLM program that I sell on my site.

I also have articles on my blog about HLM and how to set up your own program with those concepts, but GGW is laid out pretty clear for you.

great, thank you Andy. going to get GGW, I look forward to getting back on track with your program.