starting strength gym

Thread: Question on HLM and % after watching your video

Default Question on HLM and % after watching your video

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Andy,

Going to end my LP soon, I am starting to plan my next program which will be HLM. I read PPST, watched your video on HLM and would have a question about it.

On the Heavy day, you suggest one heavy set and some back-off ones after it. E.g., for the Squat, it is: 1x1-5, 4x5. For those back-off sets, by how much would you decrease the weigth from the heavy set if you did:
    -one single
    -one triple
    -one five
    ?
    I guess it will depend on the person, but what would be a good starting point?

The second question is for the Medium and Light days. You suggest to decrease the weigth from the Heavy day by some %. But is this % based on the heavy set or from the back-off ones?

Best,
    François.

Back offs usually a small percentage offset from your best top set of 5. I suggest about 5%. Then light days about 20% off your best 5, and medium days about 10% off your best 5s. That's simple and easy. Then you don't need to calculate any of your backoff/light/medium day loads off your 1s, 2s, or 3s. Those can operate independently of everything else

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Then, since I plan to start with two heavy triples and backoff to 3 sets of fives for the heavy days, I won't really have a "top set of 5" and will have to base the percentage from the best top set of 3. Therefore, I guess using a slightly higher percentage to start could make sense no?

Then, on a similar topic, again in your video you suggest (not for the deadlift) a top heavy set of 1-5 reps and 4 backoff sets of fives. As mentioned above, I was planning two heavy triples and 3 backoff sets of fives to keep the total of 5 sets (not for the deadlift). Would you recommend against it for some reason?

It's probably fine. I usually just have people work up to one top set and then do the back offs, but if you can handle 2 heavy triples followed by 3x5 then there is no reason it can't work as long as all your sets are manageable and not a total grind.