starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Program/schedule critique please

Default Program/schedule critique please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I would like to receive some feedback and opinions on my current programming. Any advice is welcome and much appreciated.

Male
    32 years old
    6'-1"
    247 lbs

Current lifts:

Squat: 270 x 3 x 5 (starting to grind)
    DL: 315 x 5 x 1 ( progressing steadily with 5 lb jumps)
    Bench: 225 x 3 x 5 ( really grinding - got here by going to 5 sets of 3 then 4,4,4,3 then finally 3x5)
    Press: 140 x 3 x 5 ( really grinding too - got here just like bench)

No power cleans due to congenital back issue (sacralized extra lumbar vertebrae "L6") impacts and jarring of any kind tends aggravate condition.

My current programming look like this:

Monday: squat, bench
    Wednesday: DL, press, chins
    Friday: squat, bench

Monday: DL, press, chins
    Wednesday: squat, bench
    Friday: DL, press, chins

I'm starting to feel pretty beat up and sore. I only have time for two lifts per workout and I'm wondering if this is the best method for doing so. I apologize for the lengthy post. Again, any feedback is helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all of your time and consideration.

-Aaron

If you can only get in two lifts per session and you're stuck with MWF, you could look at going heavy/light or heavy/medium. For instance, squat heavy and bench volume on Monday; squat volume and bench heavy on Friday, etc.

Jeff makes a good point.

You can try heavy/volume on squats and heavy/light/medium for presses. I think it is important to keep up your frequency on squats, so deadlift on Wednesdays. Add chins as needed.

Monday: Heavy squat, Bench
    Wednesday: Deadlift, Press
    Friday: Volume squat, Close grip bench or incline bench

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    If you can only get in two lifts per session and you're stuck with MWF, you could look at going heavy/light or heavy/medium. For instance, squat heavy and bench volume on Monday; squat volume and bench heavy on Friday, etc.
    I forgot to mention that I have every day of the week available. I just stuck with the MWF format for simplicity. I have been running this program since June in a linear progression fashion. The lifts have progressed well but i feel that there will be some stagnation soon and I'm trying to avoid that if possible. I can say for certain that on the weeks that require me to DL twice, I feel beat up by Friday and the DL session that day usually progresses but I pay for it on Saturday and Sunday.

Do you have any specific goals?
    If you can train any day, you could go for a 4 day split: 1-heavy squat, volume press; 2-medium pulls, heavy bench; 3-light squat, heavy press; 4-heavy pull, volume press Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleBack View Post
    Jeff makes a good point.

You can try heavy/volume on squats and heavy/light/medium for presses. I think it is important to keep up your frequency on squats, so deadlift on Wednesdays. Add chins as needed.

Monday: Heavy squat, Bench
    Wednesday: Deadlift, Press
    Friday: Volume squat, Close grip bench or incline bench
    I agree with you on the squat frequency. It becomes very apparent on the weeks that I squat only once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Do you have any specific goals?
    If you can train any day, you could go for a 4 day split: 1-heavy squat, volume press; 2-medium pulls, heavy bench; 3-light squat, heavy press; 4-heavy pull, volume press Something like that.
    Sorry if my replies become excessive. I don't know how to combine quotes from multiple users into one posted reply.

I have no specific goals. I just want to get stronger to be a more useful, capable human. I'm not competing against anyone but myself and I plan to keep it that way. That being said, "myself" can be a really persuasive and prodding bastard when it wants to be. I'm thinking of a four day split. Like this:

Monday: heavy squat/chins
    Tuesday: Heavy press/ volume bench
    Wed: off
    Thursday: DL/volume squat
    Friday: heavy bench/volume press

It's fun to design 4-day split programs! I like them myself, though I'm currently running HLM instead.

What beats you up is working too close to your rep max, too often. If you keep doing that, but 4x/week instead of 3x/week, you'll be right back where you started.

Have you tried just lowering the average intensity a bit?

I.e. hit one heavy set, that still stops a rep short of failure, then do the rest of your sets lighter so they stop 2 reps short of failure.

You might have to add a set here or there if you lift lighter this way, in order to make progress.
    But this style of lifting (more sets, fewer of them at max effort) works really well for me at avoiding injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    It's fun to design 4-day split programs! I like them myself, though I'm currently running HLM instead.

What beats you up is working too close to your rep max, too often. If you keep doing that, but 4x/week instead of 3x/week, you'll be right back where you started.

Have you tried just lowering the average intensity a bit?

I.e. hit one heavy set, that still stops a rep short of failure, then do the rest of your sets lighter so they stop 2 reps short of failure.

You might have to add a set here or there if you lift lighter this way, in order to make progress.
    But this style of lifting (more sets, fewer of them at max effort) works really well for me at avoiding injury.
    I'm hoping to lower the intensity by adding a volume day for each exercise....besides deadlifts. I feel like they have some life left in them.

So, take Tuesdays for example. I'm thinking of something like this:

Heavy press: 3x5 at 145lbs
    Volume bench: 5x5 at 190lbs

Does that seem reasonable?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
    I'm hoping to lower the intensity by adding a volume day for each exercise....besides deadlifts. I feel like they have some life left in them.

So, take Tuesdays for example. I'm thinking of something like this:

Heavy press: 3x5 at 145lbs
    Volume bench: 5x5 at 190lbs

Does that seem reasonable?
    I think that would be too much volume for me, unless the weights were really light.

But really, I'm not a coach. My one insight re: intermediate programming, is that you shouldn't work at your absolute limit very often.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast