starting strength gym

Thread: HLM for women and 8/5/2

Default HLM for women and 8/5/2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy, new to the forum and just wanted to say thanks for everything you do, it's much appreciated.

My girlfriend finished her novice LP for her lower body lifts and has been following a basic HLM template for a couple months now. She enjoys the 3 day a week full body workouts for several reasons but I can tell she is getting a little bored and is starting to miss her "bodybuilding" "booty" type of work.I was stoked and happy she followed the program this far and that she lifts in general. I'm not here to make her do anything she doesn't want to. I was however curious if I could incorporate the 8/5/2 rep cycle with some exercise selection variants to give her a mental refresher with a hypertrophy based goal while still progressing under the HLM template.

I was thinking of something like this:
    3x8,3x5,3x2

Heavy
    Squats : 8/5/2
    Deadlifts: 8/5/2

Light
    Front squats: 8/5/2
    Bench: 5x5 ( Still is in LP phase and only does upper body 1x a week)
    Accessory work: Back and Bi's

Medium:
    (1 glute based barbell and 1 hamstring dominant movement)

Barbell hip thrusts : 8/5/2
    RDLS: 3X8-15, or maybe deadlifts 8/5/2 touch and go with a 10% difference from heavy day ?

Accessory work:
    3-5 exercises of glute based accessory work.

Thank you for your time sir.

Have her do my KSC Method for Power Building. Has two lower body days per week, one that is Squat/Quad dominant and one that is Posterior Chain dominant. Women actually love this program.

If you don't wanna pony up the $$$ you are basically doing this (you pick the assistance and exact volume):

Day 1: Squat 8/5/2 programming, Leg Press / Hack Squat / High-Bar Squat / Smith Front Squat 3-5 x 8-15, Leg Ext x 50+ (rest-pause style), Abs/Calves

Day 2: Deadlift 8/5/2 programming, Stiff Legs / Goodmornings / Box Squat / Weighted Back Extension 3-5 x 8, Leg Curl x 50+ or Lunges, Abs/Calves

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Have her do my KSC Method for Power Building. Has two lower body days per week, one that is Squat/Quad dominant and one that is Posterior Chain dominant. Women actually love this program.

If you don't wanna pony up the $$$ you are basically doing this (you pick the assistance and exact volume):

Day 1: Squat 8/5/2 programming, Leg Press / Hack Squat / High-Bar Squat / Smith Front Squat 3-5 x 8-15, Leg Ext x 50+ (rest-pause style), Abs/Calves

Day 2: Deadlift 8/5/2 programming, Stiff Legs / Goodmornings / Box Squat / Weighted Back Extension 3-5 x 8, Leg Curl x 50+ or Lunges, Abs/Calves

Thanks you sir, appreciate it. If she only wants to do one upper body lift a week could I have her flip the bench and press, one for the main lift and one for assistance, each week?

Same scheme 3x8/5/2 or maybe bump up the volume a set ? 4x8/5/2? thanks again!

Yeah, Bench and then Press. And yes, you can experiment with a higher set count to make up for less overall frequency