starting strength gym

Thread: KSC PL some questions

Default KSC PL some questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I will finish my second run of GGW soon. I guess I'm done with squatting three times a week for a while. However it is a very productive program.

I will skip the testing week of ggw and directly start with your KSC PL program training 3 days per week.

Some questions:
    1. the DB might be to light for the prescribed rep range for the db BP, but might work for 12-15 reps. Should I do more reps or use paused BP for the prescribed rep range?

2. Would 60-90 sec of rest between sets of triceps extensions and 2-3 minutes for rows, OHP, SLDL be sufficient?

3. Rack pulls give me a little bit of headache. The lowest setting of the pins in the power rack would put the bar at knee height. First of all I will try to find something to step on to get the bar at the correct height. If this is not doable, do you think that pulling from j-cups of a wall mounted rig would work? This would be the easiest and most convenient solution. If nothing of this would work should I pull from knee height or replace the exercise?

4. Would the 5RM for DL be a good and conservative starting point for rack pulls?

Thanks a lot.

Martin

1. 12-15 reps is fine for DB work for a hypertrophy program. Also employ short rest intervals and it'll make light weights much harder.
    2. For the main lifts on the program I like complete rests to make sure you don't miss (5-8 minutes). For all secondary lifts I say 2-3 minutes, and for the pure hypertrophy/density work then anywhere from 30-120 seconds is good depending on the exercise
    3. Don't rack pull from j-cups. Are you using rack pulls as primary lift or supplemental?
    4. Probably could do a little more, but starting conservative is fine