starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DUP for Bench and Press?!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks, had my first workout today with the program you prescribed above.

Picked a recent Press 3x5 weight and lowered that by ~10%, did a 7 min. density block. Got 19 reps. Is 25 reps a good target number to hit for a 7 min. block?

How many reps would you try to hit for a 10-12 min. block compared to a 7 min. ?

If I knew both the duration of a block (which I do) and a rep goal for it, everything else would be pretty easy to set up from there.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the difference between a program like yours:

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    M: primary press (hypertrophy); secondary press (5-8 minute density block)

W: primary press (power); secondary press (quasi-power...do some singles @~80%)

F: primary press (strength); secondary press (longer density block [maybe 10-12 mins...depends on work capacity]).
    And a DUP program set up like this:

Quote Originally Posted by fabelweseN View Post
    M: primary press (strength); secondary press (hypertrophy)

W: primary press (power); secondary press (power)

F: secondary press (strength); primary press (hypertrophy)
    I guess the latter wouldn't work too well but I couldn't say exactly why. Maybe you can.

Thanks, had my first workout today with the program you prescribed above.

Picked a recent Press 3x5 weight and lowered that by ~10%, did a 7 min. density block. Got 19 reps. Is 25 reps a good target number to hit for a 7 min. block?

How many reps would you try to hit for a 10-12 min. block compared to a 7 min. ?

If I knew both the duration of a block (which I do) and a rep goal for it, everything else would be pretty easy to set up from there.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the difference between a program like yours:

And a DUP program set up like this:

I guess the latter wouldn't work too well but I couldn't say exactly why. Maybe you can.
    25 reps for 7min Block; 30-32 reps for longer block. Nothing @10. If you don’t have the discipline to avoid @10, use a different approach.

A couple small differences:
    - density blocks are super time efficient
    - with a density block, you’re moderating intra-set fatigue. I think that yields cleaner reps and makes for easier recovery (the latter is an informed guess).

It does seem like post-novice the goal of most training is to accumulate sufficient volume and intensity to drive progress without extreme fatigue and a density block with appropriately regulated weights and reps is a good way to get there. It's a similar solution to most of the RPE programs I've seen which seem to be "do sets of a certain number of reps until a certain level of fatigue is reached; if it's the wrong number of sets, add or subtract weight."

M: primary press (hypertrophy); secondary press (5-8 minute density block)

W: primary press (power); secondary press (quasi-power...do some singles @~80%)

F: primary press (strength); secondary press (longer density block [maybe 10-12 mins...depends on work capacity]).
    What rep schemes and intensities would you suggest for M/W/F if the primary press is bench? And how many singles for the OHP on Wednesday?

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge93 View Post
    What rep schemes and intensities would you suggest for M/W/F if the primary press is bench? And how many singles for the OHP on Wednesday?
    I don't know. How much tonnage at 70% and ~82% e1rm, respectively, can our lifter recover from in ~48 hours?

About that much tonnage (chopped into whatever set and rep scheme makes sense for that lifter).

I don't know. How much tonnage at 70% and ~82% e1rm, respectively, can our lifter recover from in ~48 hours?

About that much tonnage (chopped into whatever set and rep scheme makes sense for that lifter).
    If you went with a pretty standard approach (Mike Zourdos often mentions 8/6/4 for reps)...

1) 8 reps is "Hypertrophy day", obviously. But 6 reps and 4 reps.. is 4 meant to be power and 6 = strength? Or the other way around? Does that even matter?

2) Is the "Power" day in the middle (Wednesday) always meant to be a somewhat lighter day where you don't exceed sets @ RPE7 ?

3) May I ask what your reasoning was for the Friday density block to be ~5 min. longer than the Monday block? Anything wrong with using the same weight for Friday's block that I used for Monday's block and just do more reps (in more time) ?

starting strength coach development program
    1) 8 reps is "Hypertrophy day", obviously. But 6 reps and 4 reps.. is 4 meant to be power and 6 = strength? Or the other way around? Does that even matter?

2) Is the "Power" day in the middle (Wednesday) always meant to be a somewhat lighter day where you don't exceed sets @ RPE7 ?
    At first, the “power” session kinda means “something sorta useful to do while still recovering”. It boots MPS rates, provides an opportunity to move moderate weights fast while minimizing incurred fatigue. Eventually it just becomes more “hypertrophy”.

3) May I ask what your reasoning was for the Friday density block to be ~5 min. longer than the Monday block? Anything wrong with using the same weight for Friday's block that I used for Monday's block and just do more reps (in more time) ?
    Because you’ve got an extra day to recover. So you can push a bit and be pretty confident you won’t completely fuck Monday’s workout.

A lot of programming is just managing fatigue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12